Kissers a new challenge for Veishea security team

Kate Adams

Veishea security officials are gearing up for an unusual twist this time around: a Kiss concert.

The concert, scheduled for next Saturday night in Hilton Coliseum, will hit at the height of Veishea festivities.

Veishea security officials say they are working to anticipate the potential problems and stop them before they happen. “We do this since this is the 75th year, and we want to make sure that students can celebrate this time-honored tradition for 75 more years,” said Brad James, one of the coordinators for Veishea’s peer security team.

About 80 students will serve as peer security officers. Many will work with the Department of Public Safety at Taste of Veishea and Roc Da Rec. Student officers will patrol Welch Avenue and work at the Veishea parade.

The officers are there to help students, James said. “We’re trying to be more ambassador-like this year. Generally, students are receptive of us.”

Jerry Stewart, associate director of DPS, said peer security has proven successful in the past. “It’s doing a terrific job,” he said.

The concert

Stewart said security will not be much different this year, even with a few thousand extra concert-goers. “We’re going to treat it just like any other concert.”

Officials from the Ames Police Department, Story County Sheriff’s Office and DPS will work security for both the concert and for Veishea, Stewart said. Some officials from the Iowa State Patrol will also be on hand.

“We only have a certain number of law enforcement people in Story County, so we have to work with what we have,” said DPS Director Loras Jaeger.

“Like we did when Farm Aid was in town over Veishea, we will just have to reallocate officers for the concert.”

Stewart said most concert patrons will be from Iowa.

“It would be difficult to predict whether or not concert attendees will be traveling to the Campustown or any other area,” Stewart said.

Student parties

Despite the concert, the chief concern of the weekend, James said, are the student parties.

To help students have fun and party “peacefully and legally,” James said members of the Veishea Security Committee and the Party Response Team will hold workshops next week to meet with individuals who are planning Veishea parties.

A student/tenant workshop will take place April 14 at 6:30 p.m. in Room 233 of the Memorial Union; April 15 at 7:30 p.m. in the Nook of the Memorial Union and April 16 at 5 p.m. in Room 244 of the Memorial Union.

“The meetings will cover rights and responsibilities during Veishea for students and tenants. The workshops will also explain how to have a fun and safe Veishea,” James said.

James said faculty members and other speakers will talk about liabilities and protection of persons and property.

Locked dormitories

While the Kiss crowds may be hard to predict, the residence halls will implement some policies specifically for the weekend, including locking the residence hall buildings.

Entrance will be limited to residents and their guests.

Michelle Canzolino, a senior in electrical engineering and a resident assistant in Oak Hall, said while she will have to be on duty extra hours over the weekend, she doesn’t anticipate any problems.

“We’re not looking for anything in particular; we’re just concerned about the safety of the people on our floors,” Canzolino said. “It can be dangerous out there, and I’ve just been telling my floor to be careful.”

Some students said the residence hall policies are more of a hassle than anything.

“I’m going to have to carry my keys everywhere and I will probably lose them,” said Amy Steffes, a freshman in business.

The dorms will be locked from 7 p.m. on Thursday until Sunday morning.