Taste of what’s ahead

Kate Adams

Boredom is not a word that should come to mind for students who are in Ames during Veishea weekend.

While the week is traditionally fun-filled, Veishea entertainment co-chairman Ben Dohrmann said this year’s event will be even better.

The entertainment committee has planned and scheduled several events for this year’s festivities, and Dohrmann said students should start marking their calendars now.

“Our committee was very ambitious and did a great job putting everything together,” Dohrmann said, a junior in agricultural business.

The 15 member committee, which is headed by Dohrmann and graduate student Dave Schooff, has worked to add some better acts to the Taste of Veishea stage, to make Roc Da Rec even more rockin’, and to spice up the week events on campus.

Taste of Veishea will be Friday and Saturday, April 18 and 19, from 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. each day. Like every year, food vendors will line the streets on Welch Avenue and Chamberlain and games will also be set up for visitors to play.

The big fun, though, Dohrmann said, will be the Taste of Veishea stage.

“There are great bands,” he said. “The Nadas and The Good Things are going to be great acts.”

Dohrmann said The Nadas, who will perform at 8:15 p.m. on Friday are a local favorite who often perform at People’s Bar and Grill.

Good Things is an up-and-coming band, Dohrmann said. It will take the stage at 7:45 p.m. on Saturday and will play until 10 p.m.

“They sound similar to the Cranberries, and they’ve got a really big following in the Midwest,” he said.

Dohrmann said other bands, Dazy Head Mazy, from Mankato, Minn., and One Lard Biskit, a blues band from Wisconsin, will also perform.

Taste of Veishea will feature step shows from Zeta Phi Beta and Alpha Phi Alpha, on Friday and Saturday, respectively.

“I think that’s going to add some culture to The Taste of Veishea,” Dohrmann said.

Four vignettes from this year’s Varieties competition: “The Wonder Years,” “Monte Carlo,” “The Decades,” and “Four Tops and a Bottom,” will also take their turns on stage.

From 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. on both nights, a disc jockey from Star 102.5 will play music for the crowd, Dohrmann said. “Then it just turns into one big dance,” he said.

Dohrmann said it is important to note that all the stage events at Taste of Veishea are free.

While the Taste of Veishea is a favorite, Dohrmann said students should expect a lot of fun at Roc Da Rec this year, too.

Roc Da Rec will take place Friday, April 18, from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Lied Recreation Athletic Center. The event will feature a hypnotist at 8 p.m. and also have free pizza and beverages, among other surprises.

“A company out of St. Louis is bringing in a video dance party,” Dohrmann said. “There will be two huge video screens.”

The DJ will play videos and take shots of students dancing and project the shots on the screens, Dohrmann said. In addition, there will be free door prizes and casino games.

The Roc Da Rec events will be open to the public as well as students. Admission is $3 at the door.

Students can grab a bite between classes south of the Campanile on Wednesday, April 16 between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. at a barbecue for students. Dohrmann said Veishea has not found a sponsor or planned a menu for the barbecue yet, but students can expect to get some munchies for about $3.

The pancake breakfast that has been held in past years has received a face-lift, Dohrmann said. This year the event will be called the “Old Iowa Country Breakfast,” and omelettes and French toast will be served.

The Old Iowa Country Breakfast, which is partly sponsored by the Iowa Egg Council, will also take place south of the Campanile. Breakfast will be served between 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.