Creative break from quiet library time

Luke Stoffel

Creative writing at Iowa State is taking on a smaller, newer look by incorporating written words with the spoken ones.

Creative Readings, the replacement of the open-mike program Word Up, gives students a chance to read their poetry and fiction works before an audience, said Doug Wandersee, program adviser to the Student Union Board and adviser to the Creative Writings Club.

Tonight at 7 is the first meeting of the group. There will be a sign-up sheet passed around for those interested in reading at future meetings. The sign up will start at 6:30 p.m. and the readings will begin at 7 p.m., Wandersee said.

However, Wandersee said students should not keep Tuesday nights open in the future because after spring break the readings will most likely be moved to Friday afternoons.

“The Creative Writings Club wants to become more involved with open readings on campus,” Wandersee said.

The interest in open readings created the interest in regenerating the type of smaller program in which Word Up used to be, Wandersee said.

Word up was originally held in the Browsing Library but quickly outgrew the space. It was held in the Maintenance Shop last year.

Members of the Creative Writings Club said they are excited about bringing the open readings back to the Browsing Library.

The program also serves as a rebirth for the library, which has been closed for nearly a year due to the recent renovations in the Union, said Tom Potter, assistant for the Browsing Library.

The Browsing Library now sees an average of 60 to 80 students a day, Potter said.

The library is located on the ground floor of the Memorial Union and is dedicated to the rest and relaxation of Iowa State students, Potter said.

The library also offers listening stations where students can sit, be alone and listen through headphones to a variety of different records available in the library, Potter said.

The library is from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. Now, with the addition of Creative Readings, on Tuesday the library will be open until 9 p.m.