Governor appoints ISU student to serve on Board of Regents

Tim Frerking

Wouldn’t it be cool to be an Iowa State student and be President Martin Jischke’s boss?

One student might have that chance if the Iowa Senate approves her appointment to the state Board of Regents.

Gov. Branstad appointed three new members to the board, which governs the three state universities, last week. Among the appointees, Branstad tabbed Lisa Ahrens, a freshman in agronomy and agriculture business, to fill the board’s only student position.

Ahrens said she hadn’t thought about the position from the aspect of being one of Jischke’s employers, but, “We’re probably not going to fire him in the next couple of years,” she joked.

Ahrens, of Osage, would replace Regent Aileen Mahood, of Indianola. Mahood is a student at the University of Northern Iowa.

Branstad also appointed David Fisher, a Des Moines businessman, and Clark Kelly, a Charles City surgeon. The Iowa Senate has until April 15 to confirm or reject the nominations. If approved, the new regents would start May 1. Regents serve for two years.

Ahrens had an interview with the governor Thursday. Branstad offered her the position on the spot. “The interview was about 15 minutes long, and I think it was more of a formality to get to know me,” she said.

Ahrens said she was contacted by Carol Bradley, an assistant to the president, who told her that she should apply for the student regent position. She filled out the application and sent a resume. Jischke recommended Ahrens to the governor.

Ahrens is involved in the President’s Leadership Class on Sunday nights, which, she said, is how she got to know Jischke. She said Jischke was pleased to have an Iowa State student nominated to the board.

Ahrens said she looks forward to working on the board.

“I will not only represent the students at the state universities, I’ll have the same equal vote as the other regents, and that means I’ll be a representative to the state of Iowa,” she said. “As a student I hope I can bring an interesting perspective to the board.”

Eric Woolson, a spokesman for Branstad, said Ahrens was chosen for her “strong academic, education and agriculture background.”

He said Jischke’s recommendation, Ahrens involvement in FFA, and her part in the President’s Leadership Class helped Branstad choose her from other applicants from the three state universities.

“The fact that she is a freshman underscores the confidence Branstad has in her,” he said.

While the Senate isn’t likely to reject Ahrens’ appointment, Fisher’s may be another story.

The Senate rejected Fisher when Branstad nominated him two years ago. Fisher is chairman and president of Onthank Co., and owner of Fisher Properties.

In 1995, Fisher fell five votes short of the necessary 34 votes in the 50-member Senate. Those who opposed Fisher charged Branstad with “cronyism” because Fisher was general chairman for three of Branstad’s four campaigns for governor. Fisher likely stands a better chance of being approved this time around since the Senate has shifted to a Republican majority.

“It would be unfair to rule him out of additional public service because he wants to be involved,” Woolson said.

Fisher also came under fire for a published remark he made as head of a 1991 government efficiency task force. Fisher, at the time, said that not only do students have cars, “but they spill more on a Friday night in beer than it would cost” to pay a proposed tuition increase.

Kelly, 70, served in the navy during World War II and in the army during the Korean War. A battle over his appointment isn’t expected.