Jischke says no to most of Movement’s requests

Tim Frerking

University administrators have denied three of the four requests proposed by The September 29th Movement. The requests were in response to an agreement to reduce conduct probation sanctions given to five Movement members to written reprimands.

ISU President Martin Jischke sent a letter dated March 24 to Allan Nosworthy, chairman of The Movement, informing him of the decisions.

University administrators agreed to let the eight Movement members who were involved in the Office of Judicial Affairs receive photocopies of their OJA files. One of the Movement members, Eric Imerman, a graduate student in sociology, received his files last month.

Dan Robinson, interim vice president for student affairs, said university officials were willing to let Movement members have the files, but the privacy of other students named in the documents would have to be protected.

“I didn’t think it was an unreasonable request as long as we could protect the name of other students,” he said.

On March 4, university administrators agreed to reduce the sentences. The students were charged for their participation in an unauthorized Nov. 5 rally in Beardshear Hall. Five of the students received conduct probations and 18 students received written reprimands.

In response to the agreement, Movement members made four requests to the university:

* A public apology from the ISU administration.

* A permit to hold a second rally in the lobby of Beardshear Hall.

* A $3,000 scholarship in the name of The September 29th Movement for needy students.

* Copies of their files from the administration.

Jischke’s letter stated that the reason for reducing the sentences was that Robinson and others were concerned that the judicial proceedings would be distracting from the students’ studies. Some administrators, the letter stated, felt the sanctions were “inappropriate and unfair.” Others thought the appeal process was moving too slowly.

Nosworthy said he did not believe Jischke was concerned about their grades. “If he was so concerned about our grades, this would’ve been taken care of sooner.”

Jischke’s letter said the administrators did not want to apologize. “We do not see a need for apologies; indeed, the university has acted reasonably and out of concern for the ISU community,” the letter stated.

Nosworthy said the students should have received an apology for their actions, but “I knew Jischke wouldn’t apologize.”

“No lawyer could tell you the university was not scared of what would happen if they tried to follow through with conduct probation,” he said.

Robinson said the university is exploring the possibility of expanding free-speech areas on campus, but students still wouldn’t be allowed to hold rallies in locations assigned to other uses.

“They are free to hold a rally on the outside steps. The concern is for safety and stopping the normal flow of business within the university,” he said.

McGriff said CURV, a free-speech student group, plans to hold a rally on the steps of Beardshear Hall on April 17 and that Movement members will make a formal request to hold a rally inside Beardshear Hall for the same day.

As for the scholarship, Jischke said the students will have to follow established procedures when asking for funds, but he said they could create a scholarship of their own.

“Funds we have available for the scholarship requests will be awarded in the usual way,” he said.

Nosworthy said the university should establish the $3,000 scholarship, equivalent to the total in legal fees spent by The Movement, so students will remember what happened.

He said Jischke’s decision is vague because established procedures can be easily changed by the administration.

“After the events that have gone down, we have proven there are no such things as regular channels at this university,” he said.