Polls open today at 8 a.m.

Tara Deering

Students have seen the posters, worn the buttons and listened to the debates. Now it’s time to put the campaigns to the test and vote for senators and executives for the 1997-98 Government of the Student Body.

Today through Thursday students will have the chance to vote for their student body representatives. GSB officials hope the three-day election will draw at least 3,000 students to the polls, though many say that may be wishful thinking for elections that rarely break the 2,000-student mark.

Ryan Flaugh, election commissioner, said three days will give more students the chance to vote.

The polls open today at 8 a.m. in the Oak Room of the Memorial Union and will stay open until 8 p.m. On Wednesday students can also vote in the Oak Room from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Thursday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the Oak Room.

Election results will be announced at 6 p.m. on Friday in the Memorial Union.

Students must fill out eligibility forms and show their ISU Cards and current fee cards before they vote.

All undergraduate and graduate students can vote in the elections.

Voters choose a president and vice president, and the senators who represent their residence seats — off campus, residence hall or intrafraternity or panhellenic council member.

Students are then given a choice to vote for either their college representative seats or for one of the four specialty seats.

Speciality seats include nontraditional, international, minority and disability. Students can only vote for one of the specialty seats. Students will be asked before they vote if they want to vote for a college seat or specialty seat.

Paper ballots will be used. (See sample on page two.)

Students will be asked to wait at a table until a commission member leads them to a voting station.

Executive candidates include:

* Rory Flaherty, 20, a junior in construction engineering from Le Mars, is running with Jeff Halliburton, 21, a junior in anthropology from Ames.

* Brad Lozan, 19, a sophomore in chemical engineering and pre-law from Crystal Lake, Ill., is running with Melissa Cross, 20, a junior in child and family sciences from Byron.

* LaRhonda Potts, 21, a senior in business management and management information systems form Kansas City, Mo., is running with Rob Ruminski, 19, a sophomore in history from St. Louis, Mo.

* Todd Swanson, 21, a junior in accounting and finance from Johnston, is running with Amber Powell, 22, a senior in in consumer food science from Olin.

* Rob Wiese, 22, a senior in agriculture studies from Bennet, is running with Matt McLaren, 21, a junior in agriculture business from Farragut.