Lozan and Cross name communication as priority No. 1

Tara Deering

Editor’s note: This is the third of five profiles on the slates running for Government of the Student Body president and vice president. The profiles will run through this week.

Brad Lozan and Melissa Cross said their main focus if elected Government of the Student Body president and vice president would be more effective communication.

Lozan, 19, is a sophomore in chemical engineering and pre-law from Crystal Lake, Ill. Cross, 20, is a junior in child and family sciences from Byron.

Lozan is a member of Delta Sigma Phi fraternity, and Cross is a member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority.

Lozan serves on the GSB cabinet as director of student information. He was recently reinstated to his position by GSB President Adam Gold after confusion over election procedures.

Lozan and Cross said they will focus on communication between students and GSB. Lozan said if elected he plans to take only nine credit hours so he will have time to communicate with students. He also said he plans to attend student organization meetings to help improve communication.

By using resources such as the Internet, e-mail, pagers, the telephone and the GSB office, Lozan said he will try to be accessible to the student body.

“Students need to feel free to come to us with problems that we can look into,” Lozan said. “We’re a slate that cares about students.”

Lozan said he has already established a relationship with the state Board of Regents and President Martin Jischke.

Another issue Lozan and Cross said they will address if elected is creating teacher portfolios so students are aware of an instructor’s teaching techniques. Lozan said he has been working on the project for the past year. He said he hopes to have it completed soon.

Lozan and Cross said they will continue looking for solutions to campus parking dilemmas, such as installing more parking meters and installing visitor spots for students who need to run into a building for a short time.

Lozan and Cross criticized the current Executive Council of GSB for being “basically a chat session.” The Executive Council is a council made up of students to serve as a checks and balances system for the GSB Senate. Lozan said if elected he would use his GSB presidential stipend to fund the Executive Council. The GSB president receives free tuition and room and board.

Lozan also said he will not allow funding for food to be cut from student organizations, especially minority and international organizations. “I liked to keep food as a budgetable item because many minority and international organizations use food to put on events,” he said.

Cross said if elected vice president her main duty would be to make the Senate a “more fair” place. She said she isn’t affiliated with many organizations so that would give her an objective perspective in running the Senate.

Cross said by not having an opinion about many campus issues she could remain a neutral party, which would allow her to conduct fair Senate proceedings.

Where They Stand: Lozan & Cross

Brad Lozan is a sophomore in chemical engineering and pre-law from Crystal Lake, Ill. Melissa Cross is a junior in child and family sciences from Byron.

* Public Relations

– Use resources such as Internet, e-mail and other technology to talk with students

– Take fewer classes in order to have more time to speak with students

– Develop relationship with state Board of Regents

– Attend more student meetings

* Council Reform

– Push for more actions from the Executive Council

– Give presidential stipend to Executive Council

* Teacher Evaluations

– Develop teacher portfolios

* Student Funding

– No reduction in food funding