Sparse showing at first debate

Arianna Layton

Complaints over the fairness of questions found their way to the first Government of the Student Body presidential debate Tuesday.

The debate was held at noon in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union. About 50 people attended.

After a few questions from the moderator, Ellen Fairchild, a student activities program coordinator, audience members were given a chance to ask questions of the five students running for GSB president.

Current GSB president Adam Gold asked all the candidates about the student fee process.

In his response, candidate Brad Lozan, a sophomore in chemical engineering, said Gold’s question was tailored for candidate Todd Swanson, a junior in accounting and finance.

Gold’s question, Lozan said, seemed to favor Swanson, who is GSB finance director. Lozan said the question could be better answered by Swanson because of his direct experience with the student fees process.

Rob Wiese, a senior in agriculture studies, said he thinks the finance meetings, where money allocation decisions are made, need to be better publicized.

Another candidate, Rory Flaherty, a junior in construction engineering, said he could not add anything to previous comments due to lack of experience with the student fee process.

LaRhonda Potts, a senior in business, said GSB needs to scrutinize requests for money equally and consistently.

Teacher evaluations

A member of the crowd then asked Swanson how he planned to prevent his proposal for a teacher evaluation Web site from becoming a slam session against teachers.

Rather than just accepting open comments, Swanson said he would use a format for evaluations that would describe teaching styles in a specific manner.

Wiese said he has talked to teachers about evaluations. He said teachers don’t want student-run evaluations.

For the last four months, Lozan said he has been working on teacher evaluation portfolios. He cited this as proof that he is the type of person voters can trust to follow through on issues.

Wiese said his involvement as president of the Interesidence Hall Association is a reassurance of his ability to follow through. He said he is the first IRHA president to be re-elected.

“I actually do care — and I want to see things happen,” Wiese said. He said GSB has “a lot of potential wasted” that he would like to tap.

Potts said the key to following through on issues is honesty. Potts said she and her running mate, Rob Ruminski, a sophomore in history, have based their platform on “being sincere in what [we] stand for.”

Flaherty, who is an off-campus senator, said he has been unable to get many things accomplished in GSB because of a lack of cohesion in the Senate, something he would like to see corrected.

Swanson highlighted his work as GSB finance director as proof of his commitment. He said one of his goals for this year was to make sure GSB was accountable for every cent. In the past, he said, “totals didn’t add up.”

GSB image

One member of the audience said GSB sometimes has a bad image and asked the candidates what they would do to improve the image.

Flaherty said he would like to have biweekly forums during the day to talk to students more and get direct student input.

Wiese had a similar idea.

He said he would like to host weekly luncheons in the Union because “communication is the key.”

Potts and Swanson agreed that communication is essential. Potts said she plans to reform the Senate — making senators more responsible to their constituents.

Swanson said he thinks that if he improves communication with students and finds out what students want, “the problem will correct itself.”

Lozan had a different approach. “GSB needs to stop worrying about its image and go out there and do its job,” he said.

Catt Hall

The drive to get Catt Hall renamed also came up.

Potts, who is involved with The September 29th Movement, said the building should be renamed and as president, she would challenge administrators to do so.

Swanson disagreed. “I think she’s [Catt] being demonized for the wrong things.”

Lozan said as president he would go to ISU President Martin Jischke, tell him there are some students that don’t like the name of Catt Hall and then let students know what administrators are doing.

Wiese said his “gut feeling” is that if people are hurt, the name should be changed. He said if the Senate passed a bill calling for a new name for Catt Hall, he would sign it.

Flaherty pointed out that such a resolution was passed by the Senate two years ago.

It was vetoed.

A vice presidential debate will take place on Feb. 21 at noon in Rooms 244-246 in the Memorial Union.