No free cigar smoking for ICPSS

Tara Deering

A bill to allocate funding for the ISU Cigar and Pipe Smokers Society was harshly criticized and ultimately rejected by Government of the Student Body senators Wednesday night.

A motion not to debate the bill failed to pass. The bill was then debated by senators for more than 20 minutes.

There was confusion among senators whether the club was asking GSB to allocate money to purchase cigars.

John Hamilton, business, is a member of the club. He said the cigars would not be funded by GSB, but would be paid for by the organization’s members.

An amendment, proposed by Hamilton, to cut the total from $1,099 to $845 was passed by the Senate, but many senators were still unhappy with the figure.

David Ammann, off-campus, said the amount the organization was asking for was just a “shield.”

“I think they’re going to get more [money] than they thought they were going get,” Ammann said. “GSB doesn’t fund food for organizations and I don’t think they should fund the cigars.”

Trish Sandahl, graduate, asked for her name to be removed from the bill. She said she is a cigar smoker, but she didn’t think the funding bill would be a help to students.

Milton McGriff, nontraditional, said he was opposed to giving even 10 cents to the organization. “I am a former smoker and it is very addictive,” McGriff said.

Rob Ruminski, LAS, proposed an amendment to have the surgeon general’s smoking warning label printed on all of the organization’s GSB-funded advertising.

The bill’s total was eventually reduced $100, but it still failed, 25-5.

In other news

* A bill to amend the GSB Constitution’s section discussing the separation of powers was passed unanimously.

* A bill to allocate funding for the Panhellenic Council Annual Regional Council Convention trip was passed 18-4 vote after the total was reduced to about $1,000.

* A bill to allocate funding for the Freshman Council monthly newsletter was passed with unanimously.