1,000 extra students on the way

Rhaason Mitchell

More than 1,000 black student leaders from throughout the Midwest have either arrived or will soon be in town for this weekend’s 20th Annual Big Eight Conference on Black Student Government.

The conference is an opportunity for black students to discuss issues from their campuses and to develop leadership skills. This is the first time Iowa State has hosted the conference.

With students from each Big 12 school and 40 other Midwestern institutions registered, conference organizers are predicting a successful weekend.

“There are over 150 dedicated people on the different committees working hard to make sure that this conference comes off without a hitch,” said Yasmine Blackburn, director of the conference’s publications and advertising committee.

Organizers said the conference comes at a good time for ISU — a time when diversity issues are at the forefront.

“This is a really good opportunity for other nonminorities on campus to answer the questions they have about why many minorities are upset. This is an opportunity for them to understand what we [complain] about and understand what we go through,” Blackburn said.

Committee members wanted to stress that they are extending invitations to people of all backgrounds to attend many of the conference events.

“We want everyone to be excited and cordial to everyone. We have to remember that everyone is our guest,” said Robert Wardlow, director of the conference finance committee.

The theme of this year’s conference is Black POWER Revisited. Power is an acronym for the following:

“Power to transcend or rise above our current social conditions,

Overcoming adversity,

Working toward unity for strength,

Educating ourselves and our community and

Reclaiming our history and respecting our ancestors.”

Some of the weekend’s events include a speech by Elaine Brown, the first woman in the United States to head a paramilitary organization, and various workshops on time management, organization and dealing with adversity.

Less formal events include a Gospel Extravaganza today at 8 p.m. at St. Thomas Aquinas Church on Lincoln Way, a Greek Step Show on Saturday at 9 p.m. in C.Y. Stephens Auditorium and a ’70s Groove party Saturday from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. in the Great Hall in the Memorial Union.

The Gospel and Step shows will include performances by groups from all the Big 12 schools.

Blackburn said the goal of the conference is to address issues pertinent not only to ISU, but also pressing issues of other Big 12 institutions.

“We want this Big 8 to be a healing experience. Not only for Iowa State but for the other schools as well,” Blackburn said. “We want them to know that even though they may feel unwelcome on their own campuses, they are always welcome here.”