Religious funding questioned by GSB

Tara Deering

Some Government of the Student Body senators questioned if GSB could fund a religious organization as they passed a bill at Wednesday night’s meeting.

Senators passed the bill, but discussed and voted on it again at the end of the meeting. The bill passed both times.

During the first discussion of a bill to allocate funding for the Faith and Life Fellowship and The Inn’s service trip, there was some concern over GSB funding a religious organization. Todd Swanson, director of finance, said GSB cannot fund an organization that promotes a specific religion.

Timothy Meyer, graduate, wrote the bill. He said everyone has a certain religious affiliation.

Representatives of Faith and Life Fellowship and The Inn said they were going to help inner-city youth of Denver, Colo. by helping renovate a camp and a preschool building. The group requested that GSB allocate $2,340 for the trip.

Some senators had mixed feelings about funding the group because they felt the group would only promote one religious affiliation.

But Casey Powers, interfraternity, said GSB just funded a religious group a couple of weeks ago.

On the other side, David Ammann, off-campus, said there are different conditions and consequences with every bill. “Voting on one bill one way doesn’t mean you have to vote the same way on another,” Ammann said.

Some senators were also concerned with the amount of money in the Senate discretionary fund. Halfway through the meeting, the balance in the fund was about $4,300.

Trish Sandahl, graduate, said senators should not judge bills by the amount of money in the fund, but rather by the content of the bills.

At the end of the meeting, a representative of the Faith and Life Fellowship told the Senate the camp would not be strictly nonreligious.

Adam Obrecht, agriculture, said the group should still be funded because every organization on campus pushes for something.

The bill passed 17-3 the second time around.

In other news

* Seating bills to seat a new GSB Supreme Court chief justice and four new associate justices were postponed until next week because the minutes from the judicial committee’s meeting were not available. The bills were also postponed last week.

* A bill to replace the GSB vans passed unanimously. A handicapped-accessible van will also be looked into.

* A bill to allocate $3,510 for the YWCA’s 1997 World Community Service Project passed on a vote of 22-2.

* A bill to allocate $679 for the 1997 District VI Student Alumni Association/Student Foundation Conference passed on a vote, 24-1.

* A bill to get new GSB computer equipment was passed unanimously.