Gold will sign measures that back McGriff, Nosworthy

Josh Hart

Government of the Student Body President Adam Gold said he plans to sign a bill and two resolutions written to show support for university-sanctioned members of The September 29th Movement.

The measures were passed by the Senate at last Wednesday’s meeting. The bill was written by Senate Vice Chairman Jamey Hansen. Hansen, like several other GSB officials, said he didn’t think Gold would sign the measures.

“I was surprised at first that he would sign it,” Hansen said.

Gold, however, said he is all for the bill and the resolutions because they stand for the voice of the students.

“When the Senate passes something, it is the voice of the system. I believe in what the senators have said, and I stand behind what they do,” Gold said. “It’s not my place to determine whether they’re wrong. They’re right because they are the Senate.”

Hansen’s bill was designed to put the weight of GSB behind two of its senators — Milton McGriff, nontraditional, and Allan Nosworthy, graduate. The two received conduct probation from the Office of Judicial Affairs for their parts in an unauthorized Nov. 5 rally.

If the All-University Judiciary denies their appeals, they will be barred from holding leadership positions in registered organizations, like GSB.

The resolutions are similar.

One of them, called “Free Speech and Fair Punishment” says, “GSB disapproves of any attempt to give conduct probation to students who peacefully exercise their rights to free speech.”

Rob Ruminski, LAS, wrote the resolution. “I am pleasantly surprised. I wasn’t sure how supportive the president would be,” Ruminski said.

Ruminski said he doubted Gold would sign the bill because of “past experiences.”

“Past experiences have made me apprehensive to believe that Gold [tends] to the wishes of the student body,” Ruminski said.

The third resolution was written during the Wednesday meeting by John Hamilton, business. It says, “The Senate does not support the university’s efforts to remove any students from any positions.”

“I’m pleased that others added resolutions that added to the support. I’m very happy,” Hansen said.

John Anderson, interim director of university relations, was not aware of the bill and the two resolutions Monday. He said he didn’t feel comfortable commenting about the administration’s reaction to the Senate’s stance.

Hansen said he is hopeful the measures will help keep administrators out of student-governing affairs.

“This is one of the best things the Senate has ever done. In the past, the Senate has not stood up, but here it is clearly standing up to the administration,” he said.