Education prof placed on leave; no one will say why

Tim Frerking

A professor in the College of Education has been placed on administrative leave. University officials will not say why.

Michael Simonson, a professor of curriculum and instruction who was placed on leave, said he wanted to talk about the situation but referred all questions to his lawyer, Stephen Terrill.

Terrill said Simonson was placed on administrative leave as of Tuesday evening, Feb. 25.

Terrill said he could not comment further because the details surrounding the leave are being kept confidential.

Dan Reschly, an assistant dean of the College of Education, said only the Provost’s Office can suspend professors. “We don’t have the authority to suspend somebody,” he said.

He would not comment about Simonson.

But Associate Provost Edwin Lewis said administrative leave is not the same as suspension. “Administrative leave means the person would continue to be on salary,” he said.

Simonson’s annual salary is $77,213.

Lewis said professors placed on leave are not charged vacation time, but they are “not carrying out the normal sum of abilities.” This includes not teaching classes.

Lewis also wouldn’t comment about Simonson.

Carla Espinoza, assistant vice president for ISU’s Human Resources Services Office and interim affirmative action officer, said information regarding placing professors on administrative leave is confidential.

She said the Faculty Handbook does not cover suspension or placing faculty on administrative leave. “Suspension is a discipline that’s imposed without pay. Administrative leave is not a discipline,” Espinoza said.

She said decisions for suspension and placing professors on administrative leave are made based on an individual basis. “Every case needs to be measured on its merit,” she said.

Along with his duties as professor, Simonson works in the Instructional Resources Center, a technology laboratory that is used by students and faculty in the College of Education, said Roger Volker, head of the center and a professor of education.

Simonson coordinates technology research evaluation groups with a number of funded grants, Volker said.

Camilla Benbow, interim dean of the College of Education, could not be reached for comment.