Lozan accuses Swanson, Powell of misconduct in campaigning

Tara Deering

One of the five Government of the Student Body presidential candidates is accusing another slate of trying to hamper his campaign.

Brad Lozan, GSB director of student information and a candidate for president, said he has been told that his campaign posters were found outside of the designated campaign area.

Lozan said he believes the posters were planted at Santa Fe Espresso by friends of Todd Swanson, GSB finance director and another presidential candidate, and Amber Powell, Swanson’s running mate.

“I got 1,500 posters around campus so it wouldn’t be too difficult for them to take one and put it where they wanted to put it,” Lozan said.

Swanson denied the accusation.

“It’s absurd,” he said. “That’s all I have to say; it’s really absurd.”

Swanson said neither he, Powell nor any of the students helping with his campaign hung Lozan’s posters in Sante Fe Espresso or anywhere else.

Ryan Flaugh, election commissioner, said Wednesday afternoon that no formal complaints had been filed, so he could not go into details about the violations.

If charged with the violations, Lozan will be tried at a GSB Election Commission hearing.

It’s common for slates to be fined during the campaigns.

Election rules prohibit campaign material from being placed outside the “Campaign Zone.” This area includes all university-owned property, the ISU Memorial Union and the interior of the chapter houses of fraternities and sororities affiliated with ISU.

All candidates must conform to policies about university facilities set by the Student Organizations Resource Manual. Violations of this code, according to the handbook, will result in penalties imposed by the election commission.

Lozan also claims Swanson and Powell’s posters have been hung improperly. But Flaugh said while he did receive a complaint about where Swanson and Powell’s posters were hung, “it was a university infraction, not an election code infraction.”

Terri Houston, GSB adviser, said the university is investigating possible violations. “We have communicated to Amber and Todd on the case, and they have received correspondence about the allegations,” she said.