Senate to administration: Stay out

Tara Deering

Two resolutions and a bill, all written to show support for members of The September 29th Movement, sanctioned by the university were passed at Wednesday night’s Government of the Student Body meeting.

More than 50 students attended the meeting in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.

The first resolution, called “Student Rights” was amended into a bill, which, unlike a resolution, binds the Senate into carrying out an action. The bill was passed by unanimous consent.

The bill written by Jamey Hansen, Senate vice chairman, says “the GSB Constitution states the student body reserves the right to ‘choose its officers and representatives under its own standards…'”

Two senators — Milton McGriff, nontraditional, and Allan Nosworthy, graduate — were given conduct probation by the Office of Judicial Affairs. If the sanctions are allowed to stand by the All-University Judiciary, McGriff and Nosworthy will be removed as senators.

McGriff has said he will have to be physically removed from his seat.

“This is a statement to say that we are the student government … administration stay out,” Hansen said.

Several senators were critical of any administrative attempts to remove duly elected student representatives.

The bill calls for the Senate to refuse to acknowledge the university’s attempt to remove the senators.

The second resolution, called “Free Speech and Fair Punishment,” met considerably more resistance.

It says, “GSB disapproves of any attempt to give conduct probation to students who peacefully exercise their rights to free speech.”

The resolution passed 22-3. Carrisa Wall, off campus, Rodney Morris, TRA, and Corey Feltman, engineering, were the only senators who voted against the resolution. The following abstained: Mark Nimmer, off campus, Chad Dummermuth, agriculture, and Ryan Glanzer, RCA.

Rob Ruminski, LAS, wrote the resolution.

“It [went] like I expected it to. I received support from places I didn’t expect, and people who oppose it still haven’t given me a reason why.”

The third resolution was written during the meeting by John Hamilton, business, as an extension of Hansen’s resolution. It reads, “The Senate does not support the university’s efforts to remove any students from any positions.”

Senator Trish Sandahl, graduate, said the resolutions and the bill were the most important pieces of legislation the Senate has ever passed.

“I don’t think the university has the right remove any student leader,” Sandahl said. “It should be up to the students and only the students to decide who it is they want to represent them.”

Nosworthy said he didn’t know what to expect going into the meeting.

“I had no idea where the support level was, as far as the senators were concerned,” Nosworthy said.

“But as you can see the support was strong,” he said.