Slow first day at the polls

Josh Hart

A smaller-than-expected turnout Tuesday for the Government of the Student Body elections has GSB officials hoping Iowa State students are staying true to their procrastination labels.

About 500 students voted Tuesday, the first of three days of voting. Officials were hoping for twice that amount. The polls opened at 8 a.m. in the Oak Room of the Memorial Union as candidates scrambled to get in the last word with voters.

GSB President Adam Gold said the candidates have much to consider at this point. He said the “name of the game” for candidates is to get voters to remember their names. “They are really scrambling to get votes now. They must be as creative as possible and find a gimmick that works,” Gold said.

Gold said at this time last year he was thinking about how he could get more of his supporters to the polls. He used a shuttle bus to drive students to and from some fraternities and sororities to the Memorial Union on the day of the elections.

“I think Rob Wiese and Matt McLaren are even handing out Rice Krispies bars with their names on them,” Gold said.

Last year the elections were held only on one day and drew about 1,700 voters.

Ryan Flaugh, election commissioner, was disappointed with Tuesday’s turnout. “The intent was to get the voting numbers up from past years,” Flaugh said. He added that the early voters have been diverse, but off-campus students were the best about getting to the polls on Tuesday.

Gold’s goal for the first day was to get 1,000 voters. He planned on fewer votes today with the biggest turnout coming Thursday.

“Everyone just has to push a little harder. With help from the Daily and the candidates, it’ll get better,” said Gold, who predicted about 2,200 to 2,300 votes would be cast by the time polls close at 6 p.m. on Thursday. The polls will be open in the Oak Room, the only voting site, until 8 p.m. today.

Flaugh, too, was still optimistic. “I think it will definitely bypass last year’s. My goal is 3,000 [votes],” Flaugh said.

One student has taken it upon himself to get students to the polls. Ryan Glanzer, a resident assistant for the Richardson Court Association, said he plans to shave his head if 1,700 students from RCA vote.

“It’s getting pretty long. I need a haircut. Now everyone is telling all their friends to get out and vote,” Glanzer said. Glanzer plans to do the job in front of more than 70 students during a floor assembly, if RCA students reach his goal.

“This gives them a little extra incentive,” Glanzer said.

Because of a shift back to paper ballots this year, election officials said they have been monitoring voters carefully. “We’re going to be around all day in the Oak Room to watch for ballot stuffing,” Flaugh said.

The unused ballots are being kept locked up in the Oak Room. After hours, the ballot boxes go to an unidentified safe-guarded room. Flaugh said he is the only person with a key to the room.

The Testing Service Center will count the ballots Thursday. Results will be announced early Friday evening.