Let the cash flow begin

Tara Deering

Each year Government of the Student Body gives about a million dollars to Iowa State student organizations to help fund their activities.

The process has already begun for student organizations requesting money from GSB for the 1997-1998 academic year.

Todd Swanson, director of financial affairs, said groups turned in the first draft of their budgets last Friday.

Preparing a budget is only the first step of the process that ISU student groups have to go through before receiving funding.

Swanson said this year’s final deadline for student organizations to turn in budgets is Tuesday, Feb. 11.

The finance committee, which consists of 17 members, will then set up a hearing time with each organization. The actual hearings will begin on Feb. 14, Swanson said.

The finance committee is made up of six senators, six at-large members who represent the ISU community, a director, an executive secretary treasurer, a campus organizations accountant, a grad student and an adviser.

Based on GSB rules, Swanson said, the committee decides which organizations receive funding and how much each receives.

“We also take in consideration the amount of money we have to fund the organization,” he said. “We’re providing this [funding] for students, so we ask what kind of service will the organization be providing in return for students.”

The allocation process is done in the spring for the following academic year, but GSB has a special allocations process in the fall for student groups that miss the deadline in the spring, Swanson said.

Swanson said the GSB finance committee is also working on a program for student groups where the ISU Foundation will come and talk about how to raise money.

The program is anticipated to be held late this spring. “Hopefully if it goes well, we will be able to do it every fall and spring,” he said.

GSB President Adam Gold said the cabinet decided groups need to be held more accountable for the money they spend. “This will be a way for them to supplement their income,” he said.

Gold said he and his cabinet are considering requiring the ISU Foundation program mandatory.

Chris Stockman, executive secretary treasurer, said he expects good attendance even if the program isn’t mandatory. “There is always a certain number of groups who are involved and come to all the meetings.”