GSB, YWCA hope to build awareness

Tara Deering

The Government of the Student Body has joined forces with the YWCA of Ames to help Iowa State students become aware of campus activities.

Through a weekly program, YWCA and GSB officials hope to inform students about their organizations and ways to get involved with other campus organizations.

The first Wednesday program for the spring semester will be today from noon to 1 p.m. in the Gold Room of the Memorial Union. The name of the program is “GSB — Meeting the needs of students.”

Representatives of GSB will be on hand to share information about the purpose and roles of the governmental committee.

YWCA Executive Director Judy Dolphin said the attempt of the Wednesday programs is to address the mission of the YWCA — empowering women and the elimination of racism.

“We’re focusing this semester on student organizations and services students can obtain,” Dolphin said.

“We started with GSB because they represent the students and they have a lot of diversity,” Dolphin said. She said she thinks “GSB gets a lot of heat” sometimes. “They have a lot of responsibility.”

This is not the first semester for the YWCA Wednesday programs. For more than 10 years the YWCA has been holding these Wednesday programs. Dolphin said at one point in time they used to be held at the YWCA.

Lynn Lundy is now the noon program coordinator, who is responsible for organizing all the Wednesday programs.

Jamey Hansen, vice-chair of GSB, will be representing GSB at the noon program. He said he will give an overview of GSB functions and how they can help students.

“I will also talk about the constitutional convention as a direct way for students to get involved in and shape their government,” Hansen said.

Dolphin said next Wednesday’s program will focus on the role of the ISU minority liaison coordinator.

“People who are interested in what’s coming up can get it off the Women’s Calendar,” Dolphin said. All the Wednesday programs are listed on calendars posted in the library, residence halls, Memorial Union and other locations around campus.

Dolphin said they are always happy to see new faces at their programs and everyone is encouraged to attend.

“We try to bring up issues important to all people, particularly women and minorities,” she said. “And even though we are the YWCA we encourage men to come out, because there is something for everyone.”