List of accelerated night classes expands this term

Luke Stoffel

Thanks in part to a university plan to offer more accelerated evening courses, some Iowa Staters may have an easier time deciding what to do with their nightly schedules.

Although ISU’s on-campus accelerated night courses have been offered for two years, a push is on to get the word out about the convenience of night classes.

Edwin Lewis, associate provost, said night classes are not as difficult to get into as students may think.

Lewis said night class schedules are handled in the same way as other courses. Any student can enroll in night courses as long as space is available.

The university implemented these courses to accommodate adult students who live outside of Ames or students who have conflicting work schedules, he said.

“We also need the classes to be full, so Iowa State decided to open the classes to our traditional students,” Lewis said.

He said the university has not had a great number of adult students enrolling in the courses, but the ones who have taken them have given favorable feedback about the courses.

Janet Lovell, a non-traditional adult student, agreed.

“The courses work into my life really well. I lived out of town for a while,” Lovell said. “And this more compact, intensive schedule worked great. The classes allowed me to take part in school and have a life.”

Night classes run from 6-9 p.m. The classes all start the week of Feb. 10 and end no later than the week of April 21.

A variety of expanded courses are being offered this semester. The schedule includes Business Communication (English 302), Technical Communication (English 314), American Literature: 1945 to the Present (English 364), Death as a Part of Living (Human Development and Family Studies 373), Principles of Marketing (Marketing 340), State and Local Governments (Political Science 310), Sex and Gender in Society (Sociology 327/Women’s Studies 327) and The Holocaust (University Studies 301A).

To register for accelerated night courses, call the ISU Registrar’s Office at 294-1840.