All stressed out with no place to go

Luke Stoffel

With dead week nearly over and finals around the corner, many students are looking for the ultimate place to study.

Jamie Garcia, a freshman in political science, said, “The library is the worst place to study. It is quiet, dim, with a warm comfortable temp. Yet, this makes it impossible to stay awake.”

Living in Linden Hall, Garcia said many choose to study in the lounge.

She also said the 23.5 quiet hours are a wonderful thing because they allows people to relax and remain sane.

Although Garcia may be comfortable with the quiet time, she has also been very tense and tries to unwind.

She said that almost every Tuesday, her and some friends go to Perkins and “veg.”

“We have all been stressed this week. My teachers have been laying on many assignments and all these projects,” Garcia said. “Then they expect us to get through finals.”

Students studying at Perkins restaurant on Duff Ave. found ups and downs to using a restaurant as study place.

Motoko Maegawa, a senior in elementary education said she goes to Perkins because she thinks the hours held at the library are awful.

Her friends at the table, Brendan Griener, a sophomore in journalism, and Chad Goeser, a senior in philosophy, agree.

Goeser said he had already been kicked out of the library six times because of bad hours.

They said they study at Perkins because it is quiet and calm. “It is also nice to be able to come as a group and bounce ideas off one another,” Maegawa said.

She said the Perkins policy on studying has never really been enforced while they were studying, but she could understand why it was there if they were to get busy.

Perkins restaurant has a policy during dead week and Finals Week that states each person in the study group must order $3 or more if they want to stay and study.

Studying students are only allowed an hour and a half to study at the restaurant.

Perkins Assistant Manger, Jessi Bielema, said, “During this period of dead week and finals our restaurant fills up extremely fast.”

Bielema said she noticed 14 of the 18 tables at the restaurant were filled with students either studying or just relaxing.

“We at Perkins do have a policy for studier’s. Each person in the group must order $3 or more if they wish to stay and study. However we can only allow them to stay for an hour and a half,” Bielema said.

She also said some students become rude when they can not be seated in the section of the restaurant they want.

Because of this Bielema said, “We have made it that anyone taking books in the restaurant can only be seated in the atrium.”

Bielema said that with finals coming up they have upped the number of night staff.

Night waiter Jacob Pressley said working at night is not bad.

He thinks it is good that students have a place to go and relax or study.

However, students generally don’t understand what servers live on, he said.

“We are only paid $2.89 an hour and it can be very frustrating when college students leave lousy tips. Students should understand that we are a restaurant and not just here to provide a study area,” Pressley said.

Griener said he goes to Perkins because he gets very distracted studying in the dorms because the 23.5 quiet hours are not strictly enforced on all floors.

He also said studying in groups is great because casual chat can help break up the monotony of studying.