Trouble is brewing on the steps of Beardshear

Tim Frerking

Are we expecting a riot today?

I hope not. A march, a demonstration, a town meeting; that’s all fine. It is exercising the constitutional right to assembly.

The September 29th Movement is having a march across campus today.

They are going to gather at the terrace of the Memorial Union at noon and march to Beardshear Hall.

Once there, they will have an open forum on the actions of the Iowa State administration concerning the naming of Catt Hall, this assault snafu, dormitory door policies, and other campus issues.

But along this march there will be September 29th Movement security guards to ward off potential opponents to the demonstration. Who are the potential opponents that would disrupt the march?

I know this university has had racial problems, but is it to the level that we need to worry about a fight? The need for security guards is almost asking for a fight.

In addition, the university feels the need for Department of Public Safety cops to escort the marchers across campus. Here, too, having security could be looking for trouble. I imagine that when the Movement decided to have security, the university felt it needed to send campus police to prevent any problems.

Maybe I’m just too used to Iowa being peaceful. Having the guards and cops will allow the Movement to exercise their freedom of assembly without disturbance, but if there is a disturbance I imagine that it is the responsibility of the DPS to handle it and not the Movement members. Still, all the security seems a little excessive.

Often, history tells us, the mere presence of security at assembly events such as strikes and demonstrations leads to violence.

The presence of the Movement guards could spell trouble along the same lines. Honestly, I imagine nothing bad will happen and it will all go smoothly.

My point is that the need to have such a security force by the movement and the university is a disturbing sign of tension between the Movement and the silent opposition they face.

It is also a disturbing sign of the tension between the Movement and the university.

Even worse is that Gabe Clausen, the director of security for the Movement, said, “We do want some antagonists to be there, because that’s going to help us.”

Antagonists will bring attention to the Movement, but the Daily would cover the march with or without confrontation.

Calling for violence just to get media attention is inappropriate and helps nobody. As a matter of fact it could result in hurting some people. When the leader of the security is wishing for confrontation, he shouldn’t be in charge.

The open forum in Beardshear Hall has not been authorized by the university. The Movement threatens civil disobedience if it is not authorized to meet in the lobby of Beardshear Hall. The Movement has been preparing members for an unauthorized demonstration.

The last thing this university needs is more problems, and while demonstrations make great headlines for Daily, I would rather not see confrontation between the DPS and Movement members when they attempt to walk into Beardshear Hall.

I hope to not see any confrontation along the march simply to garner attention, either.

My partner in editing, Keesia Wirt, reminded me that violence and confrontation are a part of change.

Yes, it’s true. I agree.

She’s a smart one, y’know. One citizen saying “no” can make a difference, but civil disobedience is not the same as wishing for antagonists.

Refusing to move from the steps of a building or give up a seat on a bus (examples of civil disobedience) is much more peaceful than bringing a security force to “take care of” potential opponents.

Terrorists resort to violent acts in order to get their message across. I know the people in the September 29th Movement, and while they are very adamant about getting their message across, I doubt they would resort to actively seeking violence.

Perhaps Clausen misspoke when he said he wished for antagonists.

Maybe by the time you read this the university might have authorized the meeting in the lobby.

I suggest you go over to Bearshear Hall sometime around the lunch hour and watch how the university and the September 29th Movement will interact.

Tim Frerking is a senior in journalism and mass communication from Pomeroy.