Senators take up Dew vs. Mello Yello debate

Tara Deering

Some Government of the Student Body senators took issue with soda selections on campus at Wednesday night’s meeting.

Senator David Ammann, author of a bill which calls on the university to present a fair offering of products and services, said the university shouldn’t make contracts with franchise companies.

“I am disgusted by the Coca-Cola advertisement on the marquee in front of the Iowa State Center,” Ammann said. “I don’t like the fact that I have to go all the way to the Memorial Union to get a Mountain Dew on this campus.”

Ammann said he drinks more Mellow Yello, a Coke product, than he normally does because it’s the only choice he has on campus.

Some senators said the bill is unrealistic and frivolous, while others felt it is important in serving the concerns of the student body.

Senator Rodney Morris said although people may not like Coke, commercial sponsorship has helped improve Iowa State. Morris argued that before Coca-Cola’s commercial sponsorship, the Iowa State Center marquee didn’t work much of the time.

Senators eventually postponed a decision on the bill indefinitely.

Jack Trice Statue

A presentation concerning the moving of a statue of Jack Trice was given by Dan Rice, hall director of the Union Drive Association. Rice presented the Senate with the reasoning behind the statue’s placement on the south side of Beardshear Hall.

The Senate has voted to support moving the statue closer to Cyclone Stadium/Jack Trice Field.

“I like it where it’s at,” Rice said.

Rice said if moved to the stadium, not as many people would see the statue everyday. The university is seeking input before deciding whether to authorize and partially fund the move.

In other news

* Funding was allocated for the Bacchus and Gamma National Conference.

* A bill to evaluate GSB’s new office space, among other things, was referred to the Finance Committee.

* The Senate didn’t discuss new business items including a bill proposing the new Student Health Center be named in honor of retiring Vice President for Student Affairs Tom Thielen or a bill calling on Department of Public Safety officers to remain unarmed.

* All new business was postponed until next week.