Memory of ISU student will live on

Luke Stoffel

Colleagues of slain vet med student Krista Rankin are hoping a memorial fund and a scholarship will help keep her memory alive.

Rankin, who was a junior in veterinary medicine, was shot to death at her home in Gilbert earlier this month by her husband Dan Hillock, who then turned the gun on himself.

The incident shocked the community of Gilbert, located just north of Ames. After murdering his wife, Hillock held Rankin’s daughter, Michelle Calkins, captive for more than 24 hours before killing himself on the morning of Nov. 5, according to Story County Sheriff’s Office reports. Calkins ran to a neighbor’s house after the incident and called the authorities.

The Krista Rankin Memorial Fund will provide cash for her daughter, Michelle.

“This account will be used for the immediate cash aid for Michelle. For example, to defray funeral expenses, pet care, family support network needs and moving or other relocation costs,” said Eldon K. Uhlenhopp, associate dean for academic and student affairs.

Calkins’ future educational needs will be provided for by another fund, the Michelle Calkins Trust Fund.

“A portion of this fund will be made available for Michelle each year following her graduation from high school, until she reaches legal age,” Uhlenhopp said.

Michelle is in seventh grade. She attended Gilbert Middle School before moving recently, said Andrea Bashara, student services adviser for the College of Veterinary Medicine.

“Michelle has now moved with her birth father Kirk Calkins in California. There she will complete junior high and high school. From there she will make further decisions on higher education,” Bashara said.

In addition, the College of Veterinary Medicine is establishing the Krista L. Rankin Scholarship.

The scholarship fund will be applied toward tuition for a third-year veterinary medicine student.

The award will go to a student-parent, male or female, who demonstrates enthusiastic leadership and service.

The student must also be pursuing a career in small animal medicine or surgery.

“The scholarship is an endowed fund, which means that it will keep on going. It takes 5 percent off the top annually. In turn the scholarship generates itself,” Bashara said.

Bashara said the three funds will include donations from the public. If anyone wishes to donate they can send contributions to SCAVMA-Krista Rankin Memorial Fund, c/o Andrea Bashara, 2527 Veterinary Administration, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-1205.

Bashara asks that donors indicate to which fund they are contributing.