Jack Trice’s move closer to reality; some red tape left

Keesia Wirt

The Jack Trice statue located between Carver Hall and Beardshear Hall is moving closer to getting a new home near the football stadium.

Wednesday night the Government of the Student Body voted unanimously to support the relocation of the statue and to further support changing the name of Cyclone Stadium/Jack Trice Field to Jack Trice Stadium.

Adam Gold, GSB president, said he hopes to move the statue by Oct. 12, in time for the Texas A&M football game. “Right now it is a possibility to get it moved by the 12th.”

But one problem facing the relocation is who will fund the $10,000 move and another $60,000 in needed restorations.

“I’m expecting GSB to contribute some to the total amount. Specific terms as to how much each party pays is yet to be decided,” Gold said.

Today Gold will meet with Cathy Brown, campus planner, to discuss the money issue. Gold said they also need to decide what type of area will be created for the statue once it is moved.

John Anderson, interim director of university relations, said the actual relocation of the statue has to be done by the university’s facilities, planning and management department.

“The administration is receptive to idea of moving the statue, but there are still some concerns, including who’s going to pay the cost of moving it,” Anderson said.

Anderson said to his knowledge no one in the university administration has been contacted about the issue. But ISU President Martin Jischke, who had not yet received the GSB resolution, is apparently in favor of the move.

“In light of the fact that the statue was paid for by students, I would give this every consideration.”

The statue was purchased by GSB in 1987.

Tom Thielen, vice president for student affairs, is also on board. “I would support the move whenever the logistics of it would be possible.”

The logistics of the relocation will also have to involve University Museums because the statue is artwork. Lynette Pohlman, director of University Museums, said it is unusual for a piece of artwork to be relocated.

“We don’t often undertake a movement of a major piece like the Jack Trice sculpture,” Pohlman said.

Her department will determine who should move the statue and where the statue will be most visible. Another concern is to make sure the new location provides a safe and secure environment.

“We’ll present all of the options we have to the GSB and the administration and then we will have a discussion to decide,” she said.

As far as funding, most University Museum projects are paid for by the university and private funds.

Scott Sankey, assistant university architect, said once all the red tape is out of the way, he’ll get involved. “We’ll gently pick it up, put it on a truck and reset it at the new location. The issue now is where it goes at the stadium. There are several possible locations,” he said.

As far as the second part of Gold’s plan — to rename Cyclone Stadium/Jack Trice Field to Jack Trice Stadium — he said it is still at the administrative level.

“We’ve worked very hard to get it there and I expect a decision by the end of the semester,” Gold said.

“The decision is ultimately with the board of Regents,” Jischke added.

He said the committee that reviews such proposals has not yet given him its recommendation.

“The committee has been given a request to look at a proposal to change the stadium,” said Edwin Lewis, associate provost.

There have been other attempts to change the stadium name, but the push this time around is the most serious since the stadium was built.