GSB crowd balloons, Gold catches heat

Kevin Petty

In front of a crowd of nearly 150 students, a much-touted motion to alter the amount of funding given to the Big Eight Conference on Black Student Government was dropped.

Another bill with the intent to cut funding may be on the horizon.

Senator Mark Nimmer, off campus, was the lone senator who stood behind an amendment to alter funding for the conference. Nimmer withdrew his amendment at last night’s meeting.

“After consultation, I’ve decided this motion is out of order and I’m going to withdraw it. I’m going to make a new bill,” Nimmer said. “I’m going to try to work with as many senators as [possible], and my plans for this bill could change.”

There may not be much support for the bill. Several senators expressed concern over the continued pursuit to reduce funding.

“My suggestion to Nimmer is to let this drop. I wouldn’t go through with your effort on this bill,” Travis Keister, business, said to Nimmer. “I think the GSB made a mistake and this group deserves their money.”

Keister said GSB needs to learn from this. “And I just hope that we can end this now and not keep putting these people through this.”

Kyle Pierce, chairman of the Big Eight Conference on Black Student Government, expressed relief that the funding ordeal is over — for now.

“I feel fine about this. What happens, happens. I wish it hadn’t come to this, but it is now over as far as I am concerned,” Pierce said. “It was not our intent to cause conflict. I’m just trying to alleviate the problems we are having. All we wanted was your support.”

In other news:

Senator Milton McGriff, non-traditional, was critical of President Adam Gold’s request last week for the resignation of GSB adviser Terri Houston.

Gold previously said he would have a prepared statement ready for the meeting about his request. He did not wish to comment on the issue.

“This is not a public issue, this is between Terri and I. It was not my choice to make this public. I am not ready to comment on this,” Gold said.

McGriff then called for a bill of censure against Gold.

“A censure is an official rebuke and shows disapproval of behavior. When a body like [GSB] does it, it is the Senate saying, ‘We don’t like what you are doing,'” McGriff said.

During an off-the-cuff open mike session after the meeting, several students also spoke out against Gold and his request for Houston’s resignation.

“About Houston, I am a member of her Assistant Dean’s Liaison Council and I know I can think of few people who are as dedicated to their task. I encourage you to not support this choice,” said Heidi Frey, a sophomore in psychology.

Robert Ruminski, a freshmen in history, spoke out against recent Senate actions and Gold himself.

“Gold’s continued lack of respect for student input has spread to some sectors of the Senate and all informed students should begin to follow the GSB as closely as they can,” Ruminski said. “And consider what kind of Senate and administration they want for next year.”