Black Iowa State student victim of racial battering

Tara Deering

A black student security officer was assaulted by a group Friday at about 2 a.m. near Clyde Williams Field and Helser Hall, officials said.

The student security officer, who was cut in several places as a result of the beating, was subjected to racial slurs by a group of about eight white individuals, sources said.

Deantrious Mitchell, a student security officer for the Union Drive Association, was assaulted after he approached the group and asked for identification. One of the individuals was reportedly drinking alcohol.

Sources said the word “nigger” was used, among other racial slurs.

There have been no arrests.

Kelly Posey, a friend of Mitchell’s, spoke to him after the incident. “He [Mitchell] said that they cut him… ,” Posey said. “There were cuts on his face, arms and chest. He said he got punches off of three of the guys.

“I think the campus should be aware of the assault so that they can take the appropriate measures to protect themselves,” she said.

Mitchell, a sophomore in computer science, was taken to Mary Greeley Medical Center and was treated and released the same night. His medical records indicated that he was alert when he arrived, and his wounds were cleansed. Mitchell was accompanied home by Department of Public Safety officers after treatment.

Mitchell, who is from Waterloo, said Sunday he didn’t want to comment before speaking more extensively with his superiors and ISU President Martin Jischke.

Nathan Wright, a freshman who lives in Helser Hall, said he woke up when he heard an ambulance and police sirens outside of his window. From his window he saw Mitchell lying on the curb of Lot 59A behind Helser Hall.

John Tinker, DPS investigative services officer, was reluctant to release information. He said an investigation is continuing.

DPS Director Loras Jaeger was not aware of the incident until Sunday afternoon because he has been absent from work due to medical problems.

Nathan Battan, director of UDA student security, refused to comment on the incident.

John Anderson, interim director of university relations, said the incident is extremely unfortunate.

“I hope that people understand that this is an isolated incident that involved a few people that do not represent this community,” he said. “I hope that this doesn’t increase racial tension on campus.”

He was not sure whether the case will remain in university hands or be handled by the Ames Police Department.

Derrick Rollins, diversity adviser to President Jischke’s cabinet, said he thinks the incident will heighten racial tension on campus, but he also hopes it will heighten racial sensitivity.

“A very sad incident has happened, and it’s going to cause people to be awakened,” Rollins said. “This is the kind of thing that shocks a person. We do have serious problems here at Iowa State that we need to address. Iowa State is not exempt from racial problems.”

Adam Gold, Government of the Student Body president, said he did not find out about the assault until early Sunday night. “This whole event is absolutely deplorable. The students who are responsible need to be identified. Somebody better find out.”

Gold said he hopes students do not react to the crime with more violence.

“I urge the students to please not react to this by getting violent. Do not continue the violence. We are educated, intelligent adults and this, if your eyes haven’t been open before, should open your eyes.”

Gold said the incident has made him realize that things need to be changed. “There has been tension lately, but it has been verbal. When it gets to this level it makes me sick to my stomach,” he said.

Racial tensions on campus have been heightened recently by the controversy over the name of Catt Hall and a GSB funding dispute. Many black students have argued that the hall’s name should be changed because Catt made racist remarks during her women’s suffrage crusade.

There’s also an on-going controversy within GSB over partial funding for an upcoming African-American conference. Some senators want to cut or place new stipulations on $5,000 allocated to help fund February’s Big Eight Conference on Black Student Government.

Gold said GSB needs to look inward in light of the assault.

“This is not OK. GSB needs to take a look at themselves and say, ‘Are we in a real thick way condoning this?’ I don’t think we are, but I think it may be perceived that way,” he said. “This has to stop. It’s horrific [that] it had to come to this for me to stand up and say this has got to stop in my Senate room, too.”

Other students struck a similar cord. Michael Carlson, a resident of Helser Hall, was informed about the incident through a friend of Mitchell’s.

Carlson, a sophomore in history education, said there should be more awareness and information about security and student security officers. “They’re there to protect you so you can have fun without getting hurt,” he said.

One protective measure that could have been taken was better lighting of the area, he said. “Clyde Williams Field should have lights up around it, because it’s completely pitch dark.”

Carlson said that although the incident was apparently racially motivated, he doesn’t feel it should be handled different from other assaults. “I hope it opens people’s eyes to the racial problems on campus,” he said. “I think that racial tension will increase because of this incident.”

Ingrid Roseborough, a sophomore in biology, said she is afraid things may get out of hand as a result of the assault. “I think the Ames Police should be involved in prosecuting the individuals, especially since he was taken to the hospital,” she said.

President Jischke urges civility

To the Community:

One of the most treasured aspects of a university campus is the freedom each of us has to freely and openly express our opinions and ideas — and to do so in an environment of civility and mutual respect.

I’m becoming increasingly concerned that the current debate over the name of Carrie Chapman Catt Hall is causing a strain on this environment, and I believe we need to be reminded about just how important it is to do all we can to maintain this very special environment.

Several recent occurrences have caused me this concern.

Handbills have been posted that are intended to be racially demeaning.

There were attempts to disrupt a peaceful protest over the name of Catt Hall and abusive remarks were directed toward students involved in the protest.

Threatening telephone calls have been made to individuals who have openly expressed their support for keeping the name of the building. And most recently, there was an assault on an African-American student security officer by a group of individuals, an assault that included racial slurs.

I cherish our First Amendment freedom of speech rights, including the right to speech that is neither pleasant nor supportive in order to protect all speech.

At the same time, however, I believe we, as members of this university community, have a responsibility to avoid speech and actions that are intended to make other members of our community feel threatened or less welcome on our campus simply because they express a different opinion or position.

I am calling on all members of the ISU community to affirm their commitment to free and open expression, to the rights of all of us to hold disparate views, and to helping make our community one of tolerance and civility.

Open discussion and debate is important and valuable; I hope there are many such activities on many more topics.

But those discussions and debates should remain civil and should demonstrate tolerance for all points of view for all individuals involved.

Sincerely,

Martin C. Jischke

President