Racial assault grips campus

Tara Deering

Deantrious Mitchell spoke up for the first time last night since being beaten by a group of white men early Friday morning.

Mitchell, 20, a student security officer and a sophomore in computer engineering who was assaulted Friday behind Helser Hall, spoke briefly at the Black Student Alliance meeting last night in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.

Mitchell, who is from Waterloo, said that night he had to do rounds at Westgate, Helser, and Buchanan halls. He was on his way to Buchanan Hall when the incident occurred. Mitchell said he could say nothing further and sat back down.

Mitchell had a bandage that covered a portion of his cheek on the left side of his face. He spoke assertively.

The meeting was an open forum for students to talk with about ten university officials present about the racially motivated assault.

DPS Associate Director Jerry Stewart said Mitchell was assaulted near Clyde Williams Field about 2 a.m Friday morning.

Police reports indicate a “cutting instrument” was used during the attack. DPS officials would not say what was used to cut Mitchell in several places.

After the attack Mitchell started walking toward Helser, when his patrol partner, Stephen Kennedy, saw a battered Mitchell and radioed for help, police said. An ambulance soon arrived and eased Mitchell to the ground near Lot 59A to assist him.

The attackers shouted racial slurs at Mitchell. In more than one instance the word “nigger” was used, officials said.

Stewart said officials have a two-page task list involving the investigation. DPS efforts so far in the investigation include canvassing neighborhoods including Campustown and convenience stores.

DPS officials have consulted the Ames Police Department about the case. A $1,000 reward for any information leading to the identification, arrest and conviction of the individuals responsible has been offered by the university.

In addition, the Union Drive Association Student Senate unanimously passed a bill last night allotting $200 more to the reward fund.

“Rewards have been offered in the past for serious crimes, and this method has proven successful on some occasions,” Stewart said. There had been no arrests as of press time Monday.

Stewart said DPS officials have examined the evidence that has been gathered, and a number of follow-up assignments have been made.

“We are treating this very seriously,” he said.

John Anderson, interim director of university relations, said Mitchell was paid for his remaining weekend hours. Any further stipends that may be given to Mitchell have not been discussed.

Ames police officials said they are not involved in the investigation because the incident occurred on ISU property.

One of the questions stressed by BSA members and faculty was the handling of information by the university.

“I admit that it was hard for the press to obtain information,” Anderson said. He said the case would suffer if officials released the racial slurs that were said.

A heated discussion revolved around President Martin Jischke’s written statement that appeared in Monday’s Daily. Many felt the president’s letter did not give both sides.

Milton McGriff, a black student leader with the September 29th Movement was especially critical of Jischke. “Based on the statement that he gave we [black students] are still being ignored,”

Al Campbell, an ISU academic adviser agreed.

“It’s appalling that it was insinuated African-American students were going to react with violence.” He said black students are subjected to violence in the form of exclusion everyday at Iowa State.

Gabriel Clausen, a senior in history, said the violence didn’t start with black students. “We told Jischke, we told GSB, that tension was mounting. You thought that there was going to be an eruption, but it didn’t come from us.”

Stewart said DPS has contacted the FBI and federal civil rights authorities. “I think this meets the criteria of a hate crime,” he said.

Jischke said in a written statement yesterday that the university will not tolerate this kind of “vile behavior.”

“I would also ask that the people of this university community remain calm in light of this incident,” he said.

“It’s important that we not let the stupidity and hatefulness of a few cause more damage to our community.”

Anyone with information about the assault is urged to contact DPS.