Black sororities vying for credibility

Rhaason Mitchell

There is a saying: “Behind every great man there is a great woman, only never tell the great women that.”

Sisterhood, scholarship and the uplifting of humankind are the basic concepts for the founding of many women’s groups.

Like their male counterparts, Iowa State’s four historically black sororities sometimes go virtually unnoticed by a large part of the ISU community.

As National Pan-Hellenic Council members Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Zeta Phi Beta and Sigma Gamma Rho may not have the numbers of their predominantly white sorority counterparts, but that does not limit their aspirations.

History

Alpha Kappa Alpha was founded in 1908 on the campus of Howard University in Washington. Also founded on the campus was Delta Sigma Theta in 1913 and Zeta Phi Beta in 1920. Sigma Gamma Rho was founded in 1922 on the campus of Butler University in Indianapolis.

Since the beginning, these groups have caused the wings of many young women and many viable community projects to sprout. Their community activism is what makes them strong components of their communities. From Aids awareness walks to bone marrow donor drives, the women in these organizations are not often prone to stand by and watch things happen.

Community

Though their lineage is forged in the African-American community, their purpose reaches beyond those boundaries.

“Delta Sigma Theta’s goals are to uplift mankind through community service and scholarship,” said Abi Williams, president of the ISU chapter of Delta Sigma Theta.

Michele Collings, vice-president of the ISU chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha, also voiced her organizations goals.

“The purpose of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. is to cultivate and encourage high ethical standards and to be of service to all mankind.”

Originally founded as social clubs for black women, these sororities quickly evolved into more. African-American sororities view themselves as businesses that have goals year-in and year-out with community service as a main emphasis.

“We all like to have fun, but I think that historically black greek letter organizations are more in tune with the business at hand. I feel that a lot of members of white sororities are more worried about partying and having fun. There is clearly a difference between the two groups as far as what is important is concerned,” said Jamilla Johnson, vice-president of Sigma Gamma Rho.

Membership

Everyone has different reasons for why she becomes a member, ranging from the ability to network to the high levels of sisterhood and camaraderie.

“African-American sororities are a good outlet for those wanting to make a difference in their community, the future networking capabilities are endless, and, being an only child, the level of sisterhood was very attractive to me,” said Valerie Wade, a member of Delta Sigma Theta.

Khadijah Chester of Zeta Phi Beta has a slightly different opinion. “Outside of the sisterhood and camaraderie I was interested in being involved with a league of women who were like-minded.”

Black sororities view themselves as more than just college organizations.

“Delta Sigma Theta sorority, Inc. serves in two capacities, both as a non-profit community service organization as well as a sorority,” Williams said.

Black sorority sisters say commitment is a must for members.

“Once you obtain membership there is no way you can ‘un-join’, because it is a lifetime commitment,” Williams said.

Maria Petties, president of the ISU chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho agrees. “National black sororities in general, display a connection nationwide and worldwide. Our connection goes from the day we earn our letters, to the day we exit this world.”

“Once we earn our letters we are involved in a life-long commitment to serve our organizations,” Collings added.

Membership requirements can be strict.

“Prospective members must have already achieved a minimum G.P.A. as well as acquired a certain number of credits to be considered for membership. You usually will not see any freshmen going through the intake process. Most members join when they are sophomores or higher,” Wade said.

Pros and cons

Every organization has its pros and cons, and these groups are no different. Members list networking, sisterhood, community service, and social events among the many beneficial aspects of sorority life.

“There are many different things to involve yourself in, from serious projects to just plain having fun,” Chester said.

On the flip side, there can be many cons to being involved in a sorority. Most are perpetrated by people on the outside, such as stereotypes and expectations. Some are results of inside incidents, like the perception of hazing.

“The only way to deal with stereotypes is address them and make sure that the person or people stating them only place those stereotypes on the people who deserve them, and not on the entire organization,” Johnson said.

Some members see the many expectations placed on them by others as a hurdle to overcome. They say these false expectations lead them to constantly defend their organizations and even themselves.

“Once you join a sorority everyone expects you to always be involved in everything. … You cannot judge one chapter or one sorority on the accomplishments or unsuccessfulness of another,” Wade said.

Pride with a price

In general, members of ISU’s black sororities are proud of who they are, and what they have achieved. This pride, however, is not without a price. Many of the organizations have been attacked with comments of them being out-of-date and no longer valid in today’s society.

This question of validity is a source of much debate on college campuses and in the black community as a whole. In recent years there have been articles concerning the issue in many prominent magazines such as Black Collegian and Ebony Man.

“Every organization does their part to better the community. From working with pregnant teens to show them options besides dropping out of school to working with AIDS patients,” Johnson said.

Wade shares these sentiments. “The black community has special needs and concerns. We have to acknowledge and address the differences in our different communities in order to get passed them. Nobody is going to look out for us if we don’t look out for ourselves?”

“Many things have been accomplished in the black community over the years,” Chester added, “but there is so much more that has to be done. We, as black greek letter organizations are in the position to do more, and we must do as much as we possibly can.”