A silent push to oust GSB chief

Keesia Wirt

Petitions calling for an impeachment trial against Government of the Student Body President Adam Gold have been circulating on campus since Friday.

Although no individuals or groups will publicly recognize themselves, there are at least two unrelated petitions calling for Gold’s impeachment.

Gold, who found out about the petitions over the weekend, said it is unfortunate that someone is upset enough to try and impeach him without first talking with him.

He said he is trying to do the best job he can.

“… a difference of opinion doesn’t warrant a cause for impeachment,” he said.

One petition does not list any charges for impeachment, but points out that 750 student signatures are needed to call for an impeachment trial.

Another call for impeachment can be found on the Internet at http://members.aol.com/byebyegold/usag.html under a homepage which identifies the makers as “United Students Against Gold.”

The homepage lists several accusations of misconduct including Gold’s request for GSB Adviser Terri Houston’s resignation, his appointment of a GSB Constitutional Convention coordinator and staff oversight.

Members of the group said they are not related to any other student organizations on campus, and they are not working with any GSB senators.

In light of other, more serious, issues on campus, Gold feels the timing of the petitions is unfortunate.

“I urge people to focus on the main problems on this campus. Right now that is not me,” Gold said.