Council after Trice input, forum next

Erin Walter

Members of the Iowa State community will soon get a chance to speak their minds about the renaming of Cyclone Stadium/Jack Trice Field.

Although the ISU Advisory Committee on the Naming of Buildings and Streets has not yet set a date for a public forum on this issue, the committee has been seeking input from campus and alumni groups since the Government of the Student Body brought up the issue last spring.

The GSB resolution to rename the stadium, approved unanimously by the Senate on Oct. 2, will follow the same channels as a proposal to rename any building or street on campus, said Patricia Swan, vice provost and chairwoman of the committee.

GSB President Adam Gold has been outspoken about his desire to see the name of the stadium changed to Jack Trice Stadium in honor of the only ISU athlete who died due to injuries sustained during competition.

Trice, ISU’s first black football player, died in 1923.

After a request is made for the renaming of a building or street, the council investigates the request seeking input from the following groups: the Academic Council, GSB, Graduate Student Senate, Faculty Senate, Professional and Scientific Council, Alumni Association and the ISU Foundation.

“We go to several groups to look for reactions. We ask them to consider [the name change] in a low-key way. Do they know any reason we shouldn’t consider the nomination? Usually they have an opinion,” Swan said.

In a memo sent Sept. 20, the committee asked for input from the groups.

Although the deadline for input was set for today, several of these groups have indicated they will not issue group opinions until a later date.

The ISU Foundation Board of Directors will not meet until Dec. 9.

Other groups who have sought the opinions of group members less formally have come back in favor of the renaming.

“The decision came out to rename, but we encourage a university and community-wide forum,” said Jim Meek, president of the Professional and Scientific Council.

Norm Hill, chairman of the Policies and Procedures Committee within the Professional and Scientific Council, said that while the council is in favor of renaming the stadium, “there is definitely a need for a dialogue within the ISU community.”

However, Hill said he understands ISU alumni might have different opinions about this issue.

The Graduate Student Senate, which sought input from its more than 60 members via e-mail, has received five or six responses in favor of the renaming and no responses against.

Several groups have requested a public forum to discuss the renaming of the stadium. Because the investigation is not yet finished, a date for the public forum has not been set. The forum will probably be held in late October or early November.

The advisory committee will use input gathered from students, faculty and alumni to make a recommendation to ISU President Martin Jischke.

The final decision about renaming Cyclone Stadium in honor of Jack Trice will be made by the state Board of Regents.

When asked about renaming the stadium, four of the eight regents said they were not opposed to it, but they needed more information to make a decision.

Regents questioned were Aileen Mahood, Thomas Dorr, John Tyrrell and Roger Lande.

Most of the remaining regents would not return phone calls despite numerous messages.

What The Regents Say

Aileen Mahood

Indianola

“I am not opposed to it, it would be a nice sentiment, a nice memory.”

Thomas Dorr

Marcus

“If student and alumni agrees with it, I have no problem with it.”

Roger Lande

Muscatine

“I haven’t had the benefit of hearing the discussion but I don’t oppose it.”

John Tyrrell

Manchester

“I see points from both sides. If I was questioned, I would like more information.”