ISU gets mixed reviews from college guide

Shuva Rahim

A few weeks ago, the Princeton Review, a New York publishing firm, came out with its 1997 edition of The Student Advantage Guide to the Best 310 Colleges.

Iowa State’s page, like all other colleges in the book, consisted of information about the university’s academics, admissions, financial aid sources and campus life. The Princeton Review gathered its information for each college from university offices and random student surveys conducted during last school year. It then summarized and ranked their findings.

One of Iowa States’s best aspects, according to the Princeton Review, is its greek system.

Twenty-eight percent of the student population belong to one of ISU’s 35 fraternities or 20 sororities, making it one of the top systems in the country. Only 13 other schools in the guide have a larger greek population.

The book also cites students’ use of the library and participation in intramural sports as other positive aspects about Iowa State.

However, a New York firm’s opinion about a Midwest school may not be the best source to rely on for information about the university.

The book gives credit to ISU as one of the country’s leading agricultural schools, as it is the third largest college here next to LAS and Engineering. But it fails to mention any majors in the College of Agriculture on its most popular list of majors.

The Princeton Review lists finance, mechanical engineering and elementary education as ISU’s top majors.

It also fails to mention that Iowa State has one of the top vet schools in the world.

Another negative aspect of the university it had listed was that the campus was difficult to get around. Okay, maybe at first. But it’s not as spread out as the University of Iowa campus or is not as gigantic as the Michigan State campus, which has more than 40,000 students.

Also, many of the buildings are handicap accessible and the campus is a scenic postcard on the most beautiful days.

Students are also cliquish at Iowa State, according to the Princeton Review. Aren’t they at every school? Besides, if you have friends in same class it’s only second nature that you’re going to sit next to them.

The book also cites politics as one of Iowa State’s unpopular topics. It is and it isn’t.

The Government of the Student Body (GSB) isn’t necessarily the most liked campus organization, although it is the second largest next to Veishea. However it has been gaining a lot of student attention since this past spring. And this year, GSB is bound to light more fuel to its upcoming fire.

Iowa State has been the site of several political figures such as Bill and Hillary Clinton, Bob Dole and Sen. Tom Harkin, who is an ISU alum.

Some things listed about the university could be worse, though. In its 1996 edition of the guide, the Princeton Review list of negatives for Iowa State included discrimination against women and minorities and a “dangerous” campus. None of these are on the firm’s list this year.

On the surface, it appears that these aren’t issues at ISU. But we, as students and faculty, have a long way to go.

Debates about the naming of Catt Hall and eliminating GSB minority representation in the past have been intense. Add to that the numerous support services, such as ACCESS (Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support), which has a 24-hour crisis line and provides shelter for battered women.

These resources and issues don’t show that Iowa State is a bad campus because all colleges have these problems. It has only showed that Iowa State is not afraid to hide issues on this campus that are important and should be addressed to all.

According to Lynnette Ward, executive director of ACCESS, most incidents of sexual assault on college campuses occur in the dorm room or in a greek house, but other universities may not be listed as “dangerous” because they are not as reluctant to be open to issues as ISU is.

On a lighter note, some things never seem to change. I don’t know why, but old-fashioned dating was on last year’s and this year’s list of positives for the Princeton Review.

Shuva Rahim is a junior in journalism mass communication from Davenport.