Veishea seeks student involvement

Jennifer Young

A new Veishea committee has been created to deal with student participation.

The new committee, called the Student Advisory Committee, is made up of 11 people that with a goal of getting students more involved with Veishea, touted as the largest student-run organization in the world.

Alan Beck, co-chairman of the committee, said, “We will be doing a lot of internal evaluating.”

Beck said the committee is targeting students in the residence halls as well as international and minority students, nontraditional students and off-campus students.

“It is better to get as many people involved in Veishea as we can,” Beck said. “We have surveys for off-campus and minority students.”

The surveys ask students what they like about Veishea and what they think could be done better.

Mohammad Aleem, the other committee co-chairman, said members want students to become more involved in Veishea this year because the celebration is now being funded by GSB.

“Right now we’re trying to get feedback from the people,” Aleem said. “Our main goal right now is to ask people what they think. We’ll start working on the feasibility of the opinions and ideas after we get the surveys back.”

Some preliminary ideas include having fraternities and sororities team up with residence hall floors to make floats and setting up a day care system to help nontraditional students get involved.

“We’ll be going to most of the residence halls to ask students to become involved,” Aleem said. “We want to make them feel like they are a part of Veishea.”

Aleem said the committee will also be planning for Veishea 1997.

“We are going to do some long-range planning from the feedback that we receive to make that Veishea even better,” he said.