ISU student leaders may get financial incentives

Chris Miller

Iowa State students may eventually have more incentive to get involved on campus.

As a part of an overall $26 million scholarship campaign, the university — through the ISU Foundation — is attempting to raise $1 million to endow a leadership fund. If the funding goal is met, the university will be able to distribute about $50,000 annually from interest generated to student applicants who participate in leadership activities.

University officials are hoping to have the fund endowed within 18 months. Fifteen to 20 percent of the money has already been raised.

“There’s been an increasing demand on students to work and do other things that keep them from getting involved with leadership opportunities on campus,” said Tom Thielen, ISU’s vice president for student affairs. “Iowa State has had a long tradition of trying to involve students.”

The program, called the Presidential Leadership Initiative, was initiated by Thielen. He said it’s designed to allow students who may be forced to work, or have other commitments, to pursue campus positions.

“The more I’ve watched our traditions here, I see them being eroded away by the stresses on students’ time,” he said. “This is an effort to supplement their academic programs. We’re looking to the future in keeping Iowa State students as active as possible.”

The program is apparently unique to ISU. Thielen said he isn’t aware of any institution that provides its students with supplemental funding for leadership activities.

A committee, chaired by Carol Cordell, student organizations development coordinator, was established last spring to recommend criteria for applicants.

“It’s really an exciting opportunity,” Cordell said. “The stipend will be invaluable for students who want to take advantage of leadership opportunities on campus. I met with some of the donors, and they felt that Iowa State offers students opportunities that would just be a shame if they had to pass up.”

Applicants, Thielen said, must be in good academic standing, meaning a minimum 2.0 grade point average is required. He added that the endowment is not intended to be the sole source of funding for student or organizational activities.

“Students have to be willing to pay for some of it themselves and they have to be hooked into a university department or organization in some way,” Thielen said.

But Thielen said each case will be evaluated on an individual and there will be few restrictions on who can apply.

Thielen said a university-wide committee — made up of administrators, faculty and staff, and students — will be established to evaluate student applications and distribute funds accordingly.

One student group that looks to benefit from the program is Veishea, which annually requires hundreds of volunteers to fill executive and committee positions.

Mark Lee, Veishea 1996 general co-chair, said the program is good news for Veishea and all ISU students.

“Some of our executive people will put in 50 hours a week during the busy months without any compensation,” Lee said. “I had to quit my job because there is no way I could juggle everything. If this becomes well known, I think it will open a lot of doors for students. It could definitely increase student involvement.”

Lee said he hopes the leadership program will enable more students who live off campus, or hold more than one job, to be involved with Veishea.

“We’re not trying to point fingers, but the GSB president and vice president both get all their expenses paid — full tuition and their room and board — and I think Veishea contributes as much to the community,” he said.

Thielen said he will encourage students to take advantage of the leadership program once it is up and running. Through talking with business professionals, chiefly ISU alumni, he said he’s realized that it’s essential for students to gain leadership experience while in school.

“Industry is looking for people who have the ability to work in teams and in other disciplines,” he said. Thielen said he is targeting alumni donors who were student leaders while at ISU. Former campus leaders, he said, know how valuable college leadership opportunities can be, and they realize that the marketplace is different, more competitive, than when they were in school.

“[Businesses] want people who are solid students, but who have leadership experiences as well,” Thielen said.