Ames City Council to receive public feedback on future priorities

Daniel Jacobi

Ames Police Department Mental Health Advocate Julie Saxton, Mayor John Haila and Ames Police Chief Geoff Huff stand in support of declaring September Suicide Prevention Month in Ames.

The Ames City Council is set to see a presentation on the desires of city residents Tuesday evening, from city funding to water quality.

The 2022 Ames Resident Satisfaction Survey was distributed among 1,350 random Ames residents, with an additional 1,000 surveys having been sent out to Iowa State students. The survey collected various demographic information from those who responded, including gender, employment status, age, household income and housing type.

Respondents were asked to share their priorities on the upcoming city budget, indicating whether they wish for the city to spend less, the same or more on various programs.

Human service agency funding for Analysis of Social Services Evaluation Team (ASSET) saw the largest request for increased funding, with law enforcement seeing the largest request for a decrease in funding.

The survey also asked respondents where the Ames Police Department should put more, less or the same amount of emphasis. Respondents voted 54.4% in favor of more emphasis on sex-related offense investigations, followed with violent-crime investigations with 39%.

A total of 91% of respondents reported they were satisfied with Ames water quality, with 82% reporting satisfaction with water rates and 81% reporting satisfaction with sewer rates.

Respondents shared the usefulness of various news sources, which the city organized between student and not-student responses. Most students and non-students reported taking in most of their news through social media like Twitter or Facebook.

The council is also set to address renovations proposed for the Ames Electric Power Plant, which would bring improvements to the women’s restrooms, create gender-inclusive restrooms and address security concerns at the power plant.

According to the agenda, City Manager Steve Schainker suggested the council vote against moving forward with the renovation so city staff can attempt to lower the price.

The council is also set to address parking zoning for a furniture store, an ordinance regarding the permitting of home businesses and an agreement for a development project during their meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Council Chambers of City Hall.