Firework explosion in toilet at Emma McCarthy Lee Park cause $1,000 in damages

Emma McCarthy Lee Park, where fireworks were set off in a public toilet.
Sophie Winkelpleck

A firework explosion in a toilet June 22 at Emma McCarthy Lee Park led to $1,000 in damage and cleanup costs. The City of Ames prohibits setting off fireworks within city limits, but since the state legalized firework sales, city departments have regularly received firework-related complaints. 

“[Setting off fireworks] is pretty prevalent right now, and police have stepped up patrols, trying to see if they can find out who’s doing all of this,” said Parks and Recreation Director Keith Abraham. 

Despite the decades-old ordinance that prohibits setting off fireworks in Ames, Iowa law mandates that municipalities allow the sale of fireworks. 

“What people have to understand is that this costs taxpayers money,” Abraham said. “It’s $1,000 we could use on something else.” 

The destroyed toilet resulted in $1,000 in damages. (Courtesy of the City of Ames)

In 2018, damage was done to a restroom at Brookside Park when fireworks were thrown into a trash can which then set the building on fire. The restroom had to be gutted and rebuilt, costing taxpayers $250,000. The restroom reopened in 2021. 

“Leaving fireworks to the professionals is the best way to enjoy the Fourth of July,” said Parks and Facilities Superintendent Joshua Thompson in a press release. “Ames Park and Recreation staff will spend countless hours cleaning up debris left from illegally exploded fireworks in the parks this summer instead of focusing on park maintenance and improvement work.” 

Those found illegally exploding fireworks in Ames face a citation, a $250 fine and may be held liable for any damage done to property. To report someone illegally setting off fireworks, Ames Police encourage calling the department at 515-239-5133.