Washington Wizards sign Osun Osunniyi to play in NBA Summer League

Tyler Coe
Osun Ossuniyi runs the floor against Kansas on Feb. 4, 2023.

Iowa State’s Osun Osunniyi signed with the Washington Wizards to play in the NBA2k24 Summer League.

The NBA’s Summer League will take place from July 7-17 in Las Vegas. 

Osunniyi is coming off a productive season at Iowa State after transferring from St. Bonaventure. In his sole season with the Cyclones, he helped the team to an NCAA Tournament appearance while being a strong contributor on both sides of the ball.

Osunniyi finished the year averaging 8.2 points and 3.9 rebounds per game while also blocking 35 shots. His efforts were good enough to earn him All-Big 12 Honorable Mention honors. 

The biggest strength of Osunniyi’s game was his rebounding ability. He secured 129 boards at Iowa State.

In a win over TCU, Osunniyi grabbed his 1,000th career rebound, which earned him a spot on a selective list of players. Osunniyi was only the 12th active NCAA Division I player that had 1,000 career points and rebounds. His efficiency is a big reason that NBA teams looked at him.

Osunniyi spent four years at St. Bonaventure before transferring to Iowa State. In his time at St. Bonaventure, he amassed a plethora of honors.

Osunniyi was named the Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year in 2021 and 2022, was the Atlantic 10 Championship Most Outstanding Player in 2021, made the Atlantic 10 Second-Team All-Conference twice, was named to the Atlantic 10 All-Rookie team in 2019 and made the Atlantic 10 All-Defensive Team all four years.

Osunniyi finished his career at St. Bonaventure as the program’s all-time leader in blocks with 305. He was also fourth on St. Bonaventure’s all-time leaderboard for rebounds with 898.

At Iowa State, Osunniyi scored in double-digits 11 times and led the team in blocks. His season-high points came against Villanova in the Phil Knight Invitational where he scored 17.

Osunniyi will join fellow Cyclone teammate Gabe Kalscheur at the NBA Summer League. Kalscheur signed with the Golden State Warriors a week earlier. Both Kalscheur and Osunniyi were major contributors to Iowa State’s productive 2022-23 season.