Affordable ways to refresh your home

Get crafty and make your own art! Following a Bob Ross tutorial is both relaxing and a great guide to creating beautiful landscapes.
Sophie Winkelpleck

Moving into an apartment or house in August? It can be difficult to turn a blank slate into a place that truly feels like home, but as you prepare for move-in, here are some ways to collect items that make a space uniquely yours—on a budget. 

Find inspiration 

Without a vision, creating a cohesive home can get complicated quickly. Creating a vision board on Pinterest can help pull inspiration into one place and create a unique look catered to you. Following Instagram accounts such as Apartment Therapy, Architectural Digest and The Spruce can also be a way to discover your interior design aesthetic. 

Get thrifty

Expenses add up quickly when buying things for your first apartment or home, but checking thrift stores, garage sales, antique shops, visiting Ames’ Rummage Rampage or even raiding your parent’s attic can be ways to fill your future home with unique, one-of-a-kind pieces. 

Frequenting your local thrift stores such as Goodwill and Salvation Army and keeping your eye out for community garage sales is a great way to find affordable furniture, rugs, lamps, art and more. Ames Greenhouse and Antiques on South Duff is packed to the brim with vintage antiques, where everyone is sure to find a treasure or two for their home. 

On a time crunch? Facebook Marketplace is another great way to search for affordable pieces without traveling. 

Adding a thrifted mirror to your space can bring a vintage, unique feel. (Sophie Winkelpleck)

Do-it-yourself

Fill your home with simple DIY projects, such as creating a gallery wall, drying flowers, making beaded curtains or painting your own masterpiece. The world of DIY is endless, and these projects can be a fun way to make memories with friends or find creativity on your own and relax. 

Adopt some plants 

Not only do indoor plants brighten up a room, but there are even proven benefits—like air purification—to adding greenery to a space. Plants such as golden pothos, snake plants and ZZ plants are easy to maintain and can be found at Holub Garden and Greenhouses, Lowe’s and Back Alley House Plants on Main Street. 

These affordable shopping methods and repurposing ideas are the perfect way to bring your home to life, all while staying sustainable and without breaking the bank.