Iowa State planning for “business as usual” during RAGBRAI stop

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily
RAGBRAI participant sets up his tent in the reserved sport for Bicyclists of Iowa City in 2018.

Iowa State is planning for “business as usual,” as Iowa State Assistant Police Chief Carrie Jacobs characterized it, during the overnight RAGBRAI stop, which will have thousands of more riders than compared to the stop in 2018.

Iowa State Emergency Manager Clayton Oliver said the number of registered campers for this year’s stop is around 25,000, which is already more than the 20,000 riders that went through Ames in 2018.

“I don’t know what the total number of riders is, but obviously, we’re gonna be well above that,” Oliver said.

Jacobs said there will be additional officers and roving teams on duty for RAGBRAI and Iowa State faculty and students should not be surprised to see bikers going through campus.

“If you happen to bring a vehicle to campus and you are driving on campus, just take your time. Don’t be rushed,” Jacobs said. “That way, you’re less likely to hopefully run into a collision with some of our visiting bikers.”

The route into Ames on Tuesday has riders entering on South Dakota Avenue, turning eastbound on Mortensen Road/Parkway, then going northbound on Beach Avenue and ending the route by passing Reiman Gardens, going around Jack Trice Stadium and across East Gateway Bridge.

There are also several designated sites for riders across the Iowa State campus away from Jack Trice Stadium and the Southeast Recreation Center. There are camping locations north of Patterson Hall (lot G8), near Towers and between the Maple-Willow-Larch fields and Lied Recreation Athletic Field.

Parking lots designated for campers are by the Maple-Willow-Larch residence halls (lot 63) and near Frederickson Court east of Haber Road (lot 112N). Showers are being offered for $10 at Lied Recreation Athletic Center and State Gym.

Bikers will make their way out of town Wednesday, almost the same way they rode in. They will begin by heading eastbound at the intersection of Mortensen Road/Parkway and University Boulevard and turning southbound onto South Dakota Avenue.

Oliver said RAGBRAI riders understand that they are guests in towns along the route.

“The impression I’ve gotten from speaking to county emergency management peers who have hosted in the past is that the riders are usually pretty respectful at the venue these days,” Oliver said.

The National Weather Service is forecasting a heat index near 100 degrees Fahrenheit Tuesday, but Jacobs said there is “no expectation” that a large number of riders will be inside buildings on campus.

“I don’t worry about the what-ifs because I know we’ve got plans in place,” Jacobs said. “If we do have something happen where we’ve never thought to put a plan in place, I know we have the resources, the expertise and the knowledge to figure it out.”

In email communications with the Daily, Chris Perrin, the emergency management coordinator at Mary Greeley Medical Center, said organizers will provide opportunities for hydration, cooling and shade in the welcome area by the stadium, the main campground at Brookside Park and downtown Ames.

“We also have worked with community partners to be sure we have our aid stations well-staffed with medical support,” Perrin stated. “In addition to initial assessment and treatment, staff there can also provide information regarding public places with air conditioning and additional shade.”

Perrin added that Ames residents and Iowa State students should not experience trouble seeking emergency care and that additional ambulances will be staffed and available.

Ultimately, Oliver credits planning for Iowa State football games as an advantage in planning for an event like RAGBRAI.

“We do seven events this size every year,” Oliver said. “We’ve got so many local partners that are accustomed to coming together for large event planning, and it’s both the expertise and the relationships that come out of that that really give us an advantage when something like this comes around.”