Iowa State’s first week events range from concerts to poster sale

The+Greenlee+schools+table+at+the+Spring+2023+WelcomeFest%2C+Jan.+31.+
Dylan Mescher
The Greenlee school’s table at the Spring 2023 WelcomeFest, Jan. 31.

Between the bustle of moving back to Ames and anxiety about the upcoming semester, it can be easy for Iowa State students to forget about the events offered during the first week of classes. Many of these events are free of charge and have been compiled into a list below.

Wednesday

Fall WelcomeFest will occur in the Memorial Union Great Hall from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday evening. Students can receive free merchandise from Ames businesses and Iowa State University departments. There will also be free food. The event is free of charge.

Grandma Mojo Improv Comedy Club’s first show of the semester will be in the Maintenance Shop in the Memorial Union at 8 p.m. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., and admission is $1.

Thursday

This semester, the first film at Cyclone Cinema will be “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.” The film will be shown in Carver 101 Thursday through Sunday at 7 p.m. Admission is free, with snacks and drinks priced at $1 and $2.

Students can attend the first Maintenance Shop concert of the fall semester at 8 p.m. Two bands, Vehicle Dynamics and Display Case, will be performing. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. and admission is free.

Friday

The week will end with the first ISU AfterDark of the semester. It will go from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the Memorial Union. Guests will include comedian Fahim Anwar, as seen on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon,” and mentalist Tom Kennedy. Bingo, karaoke and bowling are among the activities available to visitors.

Week-long

Poster Invasion’s poster sale will be in the Memorial Union’s Campanile Room all week, giving students the chance to purchase a variety of posters and postcards to decorate their space. The poster sale will be open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, with later hours Wednesday and Friday nights.

While at the Memorial Union, students can also create two different drop-in crafts at the Workspace. They will be able to paint a mug or create an air plant terrarium. Both crafts are available Monday through Friday, 2 p.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. They are also available as to-go kits for an additional charge.