Films to get you in the mood for fall

Courtesy of IMDb
The first Scream movie was released in 1996 and spawned a six-movie franchise.

As October begins, the list of movies to get you in the mood for fall is endless. Here is a list of five films that capture the feeling of the autumn season.

“Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban”

As one of the most successful film series of all time, the third film in the “Harry Potter” franchise features many aspects of the fall season. The mysterious werewolf, time travel and the infamous Night Bus capture a feeling of excitement and fear. The Halloween season is featured prominently in the film, and it is the first time we see Harry’s story become very serious. As dementors torment the school of Hogwarts and Sirius Black is on the loose, the film provides an intense yet enjoyable watch. Watching the Harry Potter series in October is a great opportunity. As the weather gets colder, the atmosphere of the films reflects the feeling of fall. 

“Corpse Bride”

Tim Burton’s animated romance “Corpse Bride” has the attitude and music for a feel-good Halloween movie. With an emotional twist, the 2005 stop-motion animated film features a complicated love triangle between Victor, Emily and Victoria. This movie is for all ages, and the ending can be interpreted in many different ways. The look and feel of the film create an amusing fall watch.

“When Harry Met Sally” 

This classic rom-com takes place in New York City during the holiday season. The look of this movie resembles the autumn feel of Halloween, Thanksgiving and the transition to Christmas. From the sweaters they wear to the shots of Central Park and leaves falling, “When Harry Met Sally” is a comforting fall watch. The nostalgia of the late 80’s is relatable to all generations. The classic love story is bittersweet and comedic. The cinematography of this film captures the city’s transformation from fall to winter and makes for the perfect fall watch. 

“Scream” (1996) 

The cult classic “Scream” featuring the terrifying Ghostface is scary but truly enjoyable. “Scream” (1996) is quite the comical watch, as it plays off of horror stereotypes. The film keeps you guessing as to who could be tormenting the teens of Woodsboro. The characters in this film are relatable and easy to root for. If you find being scared entertaining, this is the movie for you. The series continues on through generations of the characters, and the most recent installment in the series just came out this past spring. The elements of Halloween and school are key to the plot and a great way to get you in the mood for Halloween. 

“No One Will Save You” 

This newly released Hulu film is all the rage. The film follows Brynn, a young woman who lives alone in a town where no one seems to give her the time of day. When aliens attack her home, she is forced to help herself. The action in this film is truly captivating, and the film features almost no dialogue. The editing of the aliens and UFOs is unique. This thriller can be a substitute for those who don’t enjoy horror but can appreciate the creepiness of a movie. “No One Will Save You” is a great watch to get in the mood for Halloween, especially since it was released in early September. Highly recommended for a movie night with friends!