Nostalgic TV series to binge during spooky season

Courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes
The first season of “American Horror Story” premiered on Oct. 5, 2011 on FX.

From the all-star cast of Disney’s “Haunted Mansion” to the tenth installment of the “Saw” franchise, 2023 has been a year full of spooky releases so far.

In addition to celebrating new releases, October is also a time to revisit old favorites, including television series from our youth.

Here are four nostalgic TV shows to revisit during the spooky season.

“American Horror Story: Murder House” (2011)

There is nothing like revisiting the first season of a show that you love. “American Horror Story: Murder House” provides a fantastic viewing experience for fans of the franchise who want to take a walk down memory lane.

This season of “American Horror Story” follows the Harmon family, who move into an old mansion in Los Angeles after a family tragedy. They soon find themselves being haunted by the spirits of the house’s former residents, and unlike Casper, they are not friendly ghosts. For fans of “The Haunting of Hill House” and “The Haunting of Bly Manor” on Netflix, “American Horror Story: Murder House” is a must-watch.

You can stream “American Horror Story: Murder House” on Hulu.

“House of Anubis” (2011-2013)

Inspired by a Dutch-Belgian show of the same name, “House of Anubis” enjoyed a three-season run on Nickelodeon during the early 2010s. The series follows Nina, an American transfer student, who arrives at an English boarding school the same day a student goes missing. She quickly discovers that something bizarre is happening at her school and she teams up with her classmates to solve the mysteries of Anubis House.

While the writing is cringy at times, as is the case with most Nickelodeon shows from that era, the series still holds a warm place in the hearts of many people who grew up watching it. Thanks to the autumnal setting and the creepy taxidermied raven that belongs to the school’s caretaker, “House of Anubis” is a great show for anyone looking to revisit early 2010s Nickelodeon shows while embracing the Halloween spirit.

You can stream “House of Anubis” on Netflix.

“Once Upon a Time” (2011-2018)

“Once Upon a Time” reimagines the story of classic fairytales and gives them a new spin. When a young boy named Henry visits Emma Swan in Boston, claiming that she is his mom and that she is the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming, Emma is understandably skeptical. But after taking Henry back home to the town of Storybrooke, Emma discovers that something isn’t quite right with the town or Henry’s adoptive mother, Regina Mills.

It may seem strange to suggest a television series about fairytales for the spooky season, but between the idyllic, chilly backdrops of a small New England town and the magical Enchanted Forest, it is a perfect show to watch on a cold October evening. Later seasons get even spookier, with horror figures such as Doctor Frankenstein, Doctor Jekyll, and Mr. Hyde being introduced.

You can stream “Once Upon a Time” on Disney+.

BuzzFeed Unsolved (2016-2021)

“BuzzFeed Unsolved” perfectly represents a period of internet nostalgia for many people. Even though the hosts of the show, Ryan Bergara and Shane Madej, are no longer with BuzzFeed and have moved on to bigger and better things, the series still holds up remarkably well.

The show is divided into two parts: “BuzzFeed Unsolved: Supernatural,” which allows the viewers to accompany Ryan and Shane as they hunt for ghosts and ghouls in spooky locations, and “BuzzFeed Unsolved: True Crime,” in which the hosts talk about unsolved mysteries. With 121 episodes, there is something for everyone.

You can stream BuzzFeed Unsolved on YouTube, Amazon Prime and Hulu.