Spooky Halloween events in the Ames area to add to your calendar

Emily Carreon
A calendar to keep you up to date on some spooky events that you won’t want to miss.

It’s time to leave that 90-degree weather behind and step into the fall season. Whether you’re looking for an activity to get you out of your dorm or an activity for weekend fun with friends, the Ames community has several events planned for the fall season. Now that we have flipped the calendar page to October, it’s time to plan for the month.

Spirits in the Gardens

6-9 p.m, Oct. 13, 20,

5-9 p.m., Oct. 14, 15, 21, 22

Reiman Gardens hosts its annual Halloween event, Spirits in the Gardens, every October. This spooky event is for all ages and features over 1,000 hand-carved pumpkins and visual holograms that are displayed throughout the gardens. If guests want to be one step ahead, Reiman Gardens hosts a jack-o’-lantern sneak peek Oct. 13 and Oct. 20, where guests can view the pumpkins at their freshest. 

Renee Rule, the director of guest services and events at Reiman Gardens, reiterated how exciting these events can be during the fall season. Spirits in the Gardens has a long history and is constantly being improved.

We have done Spirits in the Garden for quite a few years,” Rule said. “However, it became the event it is now, about 8 years ago when we added the hundreds of carved Jack-O-Lanterns.”

Downtown Trick or Treat

10 a.m.-2 p.m., Oct. 27

If you happen to have missed the Downtown Farmers Market this year, there is still time to stroll down Main Street and take in Ames’s historic downtown. This year, Downtown Ames is once again hosting Downtown Trick or Treat, where people of all ages are encouraged to dress up and collect all the candy that their heart desires from businesses.

Costume skate night

2-4 p.m., Oct. 28

The City of Ames Ice Arena is joining in the Halloween fun. While it hosts public skate nights every Wednesday for Iowa State students, it’s adding a Halloween Costume Skate from 2 to 4 p.m. Oct. 28, with free admission if you are wearing a Halloween costume.

Kate Kurka Gillum, a digital media specialist for Discover Ames, said that they love keeping everyone up to date on events that happen during the fall season every year because it’s a great way for the community to come together. 

“This city has such a vibrant community of people and ISU students play such a vital role in the Ames ecosystem,” Gillum said. “Seeing Iowa State as more than just campus, but Ames as a whole gives students a deeper appreciation of where they’ve chosen to spend four years of their life.”

Rovers at Reiman: Howl-O-Ween Costume Walk

4:30-7 p.m., Oct. 31

Along with the big jack-o’-lantern display, Reiman also hosts Rovers at Reiman: Howl-O-Ween Costume Walk. On Oct. 31, bust out the costumes for you and your dog and stroll through Reiman, where your pup can participate in a photo shoot and possibly be featured on social media. 

Cyclone Cinema: Talk to Me

7 p.m., Oct. 26

Cyclone Cinema, located in Carver Hall 101, is hosted by the Student Union Board and screens a variety of different movies every weekend for all to watch. To get into the Halloween spirit, they’ll be screening Talk to Me at 7 p.m. Oct. 26, an R-rated film that tells the story of a group of friends who discover how to conjure spirits and accidentally unleash supernatural forces. This movie screening will definitely put viewers in a spooky mood.

Iowa State Sorority and Fraternity Greek Trick or Treat

1-3 p.m., Oct. 22

Iowa State’s Memorial Union is hosting its annual Greek Trick or Treat from 1-3 p.m. Oct. 22. This Halloween event is nothing short of spectacular. With a costume parade at 2:30 p.m., and over 15 different crafts and activities, everyone is invited to participate and have an exciting time.

Shay Kent, a senior in global resource systems and member of the Kappa Delta sorority, says that fall events are an exciting time for their chapter and the Panhellenic community, as every chapter can volunteer their time.

“When I entered the chapter as a new member, I knew basically no one, but this event gave me the chance to meet older members and put in some good volunteer hours,” Kent said. “I’m sure it’s so much fun for the attendees, but as a volunteer, it’s even more enjoyable.”

Whether you’re new to the city or you’re a local, Ames always has something going on during Halloween for all ages. Don’t miss out on the fall season and celebrate a spooky holiday.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500