Review: Does “Beetlejuice: The Musical” live up to the 1988 film?

Kylie Portz
A crowd eagerly awaits the start of “Beetlejuice: The Musical” on Oct. 8 at the Des Moines Civic Center.

Halloween is weeks away, the leaves are falling and the newest installment of the “Saw” franchise is in theaters. As the weather turns colder it is the perfect time to cuddle up and turn on your favorite spooky flick. Or musical. 

Broadway’s “Beetlejuice: The Musical” ran from Oct. 3 to Oct. 8 at the Des Moines Civic Center. 

Tim Burton’s “Beetlejuice”, the musical’s source material, has gained a cult following since its release in 1988. The horror comedy film features “Stranger Things” star Winona Ryder as Lydia Deetz and “Batman”’s Michael Keaton in the titular role of Beetlejuice.

The musical debuted on Broadway in 2019 and has since received eight Tony nominations, which helped it build a dedicated fan base of its own. The production has been on tour since 2022 and is currently led by Isabella Esler (Lydia) and Justin Collette (Beetlejuice).  

I had the opportunity to attend the matinee performance of the musical on the last day the production was in Des Moines. As a fan of the 1988 film and of the original Broadway cast, I entered the theater with guarded expectations. I was not disappointed.

I sat next to a girl dressed as Lydia Deetz, sporting a goth outfit that was completed by a pair of fishnet tights and lace gloves. She was not the only fan to dress up for the performance, with a few other fans dressed as Beetlejuice or sporting merchandise from the film. 

The matinee performances featured understudies Jackera Davis (Lydia) and Lee N. Price (Beetlejuice). Price’s portrayal of Beetlejuice was hilariously outlandish, not missing a beat when it came to comedic timing. He brought an almost youthful energy to the character. 

While Davis played a haunting and heartfelt Lydia, her acting choices–while different than Wynona’s portrayal–felt real to the character and to the production. Davis wowed the audience with multiple opt-ups (singing higher notes than the original music). 

While there were some notable differences between the movie and the musical–in the film, the Maitlands die in a car accident, while in the musical they pass from electrocution in their home–the changes made to the plot work with the production and make sense given the time constraints. 

My biggest grievance with the performance is the lighting. The production heavily featured strobe lighting, with bright lights continuously flashing into the audience. While this lighting choice added to the fantasy of the production, the overuse of the strobe lights led me and a few other members to cover our eyes in an attempt to protect ourselves from getting blinded by the bright lights. 

Despite the headache-inducing lighting choices, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Judging by the multiple screams of excitement, I can only assume the young girl who sat next to me had fun as well. Overall, the show was hilarious, heartfelt and lived up to the critically acclaimed 1988 film. 

The show will continue to tour into the new year and is currently being performed in St. Louis at “The Fabulous Fox” theater.