City seeks residents for Public Nuisance Appeals Board

Ward+4+Rep.+Rachel+Junck%2C+Jan.+24.+
Jacob Rice
Ward 4 Rep. Rachel Junck, Jan. 24.

Mayor of Ames John Haila is seeking Ames residents to join the Public Nuisance Appeals Board, a city board that will see appeals from residential, industrial and commercial properties following an approved property maintenance ordinance.

The ordinance’s new standards include exterior property maintenance issues such as storing garbage and junk in yards, removing debris on sidewalks, limiting the height of vegetation on right of ways, removing tree limbs over sidewalks, prohibiting noxious weeds in yards and more according to a release sent to press.

“In some cases, the property owner may not believe they are in violation of the ordinance,” stated Building Official Sara Van Meeteren. “This board would be the mechanism to appeal that decision.”

The standards and the board will both go live Jan. 1. The board is to consist of seven members, with one member from each ward of the city being represented and four representing the city at-large.

The board will have the authority to affirm or reverse the decision of the building official or grant additional time for abatement. To apply to join the board, applicants must be 18 or older. Applications can be found on the city of Ames’ website.