Local events going into Halloweekend

Talk To Me was released in 2022 and follows a group of teenagers as they discover they can contact spirits.
Courtesy of IMDb
“Talk To Me” was released in 2022 and follows a group of teenagers as they discover they can contact spirits.

The leaves are turning, the temperatures are dropping and there is an unmistakable spooky feeling in the air. As the student body gears up for Halloween festivities, here are some upcoming events at Iowa State and in the Ames community through the weekend.

Tuesday

The Student Union Board will host their bi-monthly Open Mic Night in the Maintenance Shop on Tuesday evening. The event is free and gives ISU students the opportunity to show off their talents and skills. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., with the show at 8 p.m.

Thursday

Minneapolis-based Americana rock band Harbor and Home will perform in the Maintenance Shop on Thursday. If you’re a fan of Drew Holcomb, Jeremey Messersmith, NEEDTOBREATHE or Eric Hutchinson, you’ll probably like their sound. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. with showtime at 8 p.m. Tickets cost $20 or $15 with student ID.

Cyclone Cinema will be showing “Talk to Me,” the 2022 horror/mystery film, this week in Carver 101. The movie will be shown through Sunday and starts at 7 p.m. every night. Admission is free, with snacks and drinks priced at $1 and $2.

Friday

Downtown Ames will host their annual Downtown Trick-or-Treat Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Everyone is invited to dress up and attend the all-ages event. The event gives visitors a chance to get to know the downtown community and provides a fun afternoon for kids to trick-or-treat safely.

The Maintenance Shop will be getting spooky on Friday evening, with the University Library offering a free screening of “Nosferatu.” Co-written by Bram Stoker, best known for “Dracula,” the 1922 silent film was one of the first horror movies ever made. With a 2024 reboot starring Bill Skarsgård currently in the works, this would be a perfect opportunity to watch the original film before catching the new film in the theaters next year.

Friday is the opening night of ISU Theater’s musical, Head Over Heels. Based on a classic novel by Sir Phillip Sidney, Head Over Heels features music by The Go-Go’s, the iconic all-female rock band that dominated the California music scene during the 1980s. The musical will run through Nov. 5, with free admission for ISU students and youth and $25 a ticket for members of the public.

Saturday

The City of Ames Ice Arena will have its Halloween Costume Skate from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Admission is free if you show up wearing a costume.

Great Caeser’s Goat will perform at Cornbred as part of the restaurant’s Live Music Saturdays. Great Caeser’s Goat is a four-piece Americana band from Austin, Texas, but are now based in Iowa. Since it will be Halloween weekend, Cornbred encourages people to show up in costumes. The band will perform from 7 to 10 p.m.

Week-long

The Studies in Creativity exhibit will be shown in the Memorial Union Art Gallery through Nov. 15. The exhibit houses 32 works of art by 24 student artists. The gallery is open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 1 to 4 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is free.

The Workspace will be hosting two walk-in crafts all this week. The first craft is Word Art, which involves arranging paper mache letters into a word to display on your desk or bookshelf. The craft costs $12-$18 in studio and $14-$20 to go. Additionally, students can pop in and paint their own mug for $10. The Workspace is open from 2 to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.