It’s opening night for the department of music and theatre’s “Head Over Heels” 

Head Over Heels will be performed in Fisher Theater from October 27 to November 5.
“Head Over Heels” will be performed in Fisher Theater from October 27 to November 5.

The stage has been set, the scripts memorized and the steps learned. The only piece missing is the audience. The cast and crew of “Head Over Heels” have been hard at work the past few months prepping for opening night of this year’s musical.

“I am so excited for audiences to see this,” said Valentine Chenus, who plays the role of Gynecia in the show. “I think it is super fun, and I’m gonna have a blast performing it (Head Over Heels) and people are hopefully going to have fun watching it.”

“Head Over Heels” is a jukebox musical that features the music of the Go-Go’s. The show tells the story of King Basillius (Zane McSheehy), his wife Gynecia (Valentine Chenus) and their two daughters Philoclea (Asia Keane) and Pamela (Annika Baker)  as they are lead on an adventure to save their kingdom. 

“Head Over Heels” is being co-directed by Brad Dell and Laura Wurzell. Wurzell also choreographed the show. 

“If you like the Go-Go’s, you should go-go to the musical,” Chenus said. “This is a musical that I think you can leave feeling good.” 

The department of music and theatre will host the first performance of “Head Over Heels” at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Fisher Theater. Performances include Oct. 27, Oct. 28, Nov. 2 and Nov. 3 at 7:30 p.m. Matinee performances will be held at 3 p.m. on Oct. 29 and Nov. 5.

General Admission tickets can be purchased for $25 at the Iowa State Center Ticket Office, at the door or through Ticketmaster. Youth and ISU students get in for free.   

When asked what audiences can expect, Chenus said, “I think they should take it as it is and just let themselves be carried away by the world.”