Meet Bronwyn Beatty-Hansen: Ames City Council candidate

At-large+Rep.+Bronwyn+Beatty-Hansen+is+running+for+city+council+ward+1+representative.+
Courtesy of Bronwyn Beatty-Hansen.
At-large Rep. Bronwyn Beatty-Hansen is running for city council ward 1 representative.

Beatty-Hansen is 41 and grew up in Emmetsburg, Iowa. She currently resides in Ames and got her master’s degree in political science from Iowa State.

Beatty-Hansen served the city council for eight years as an At-Large and is looking to run for Ward 1 representative as her next position.

The city and school elections in Ames will take place Nov. 7. Voter information can be found on the city of Ames website.

Why are you running?

Beatty-Hansen: I am running for City Council because I love helping people, and I have enjoyed serving the people of Ames.

What are the biggest issues facing the Ames community and how do you plan to address them?

Beatty-Hansen: I believe implementing our Climate Action Plan will be the biggest task ahead. It involves “six big moves,” including clean energy, solid waste disposal, encouraging transit and active transportation, and greener construction or retrofitting of homes.

How does the city plan to balance the affordability of living in Ames while also living sustainably?

Beatty-Hansen: This is indeed a delicate balance. Adopting sustainability goals may require significant up-front costs, so we will need to find ways to subsidize or incentivize these cost burdens for those who need assistance. I do believe this will be a challenge, but I also firmly believe that doing nothing in regards to climate would lead to even bigger costs.