StuGov formally congratulates FFA vice president, funds clubs

Brielle Tuttle
Student Government Director of Health and Wellness, Anna Spahn, during the meeting at the Memorial Union on Oct. 11, 2023.

The Senate passed a formal resolution congratulating Kanyon Huntington, a senior in political science and a former senator, for his election as the nation’s central region vice president for the FFA.

Huntington is one of six members representing 945,988 students, and the Senate took a moment to recognize his service as a senator.

“Resolutions are an opportunity for us in the body to represent all the students and say congratulations from Iowa State University Student Government on doing this, but also being an outstanding student,” Vice-Speaker Brandon Kamstra, a senior in kinesiology and health, said.

The Senate also heard from Kristine Heflin, who is acting as the Student Government’s temporary adviser after Sophia Sarver resigned last week.

“While we’re figuring out what’s going to happen, I’m going to be advising Student Government,” Heflin said. “I will help you all keep things moving forward.”

Heflin is the associate director of the Memorial Union for Student Engagement and is one of the interim co-directors of the MU.

The Senate confirmed Emily Haes, a sophomore in political science, to the role of Supreme Court associate justice.

College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Senator Hannah Everhart, a junior in agricultural communication, was confirmed to the local affairs committee. Everhart also serves on the public relations committee.

“The reason I wanted to join local affairs is simply just to connect your city […] there’s a lot of students that just want to stay on campus and don’t really […] connect with the citizens of their respective cities, and I want to bridge that gap,” Everhart said.

The Senate allocated funds to two sports teams. The women’s soccer club was given $820.73 to pay for travel expenses after their recent win against Minnesota, securing their spot at the national competition.

The men’s hockey club received $374 to pay for travel to St. Louis. This competition was previously outside of their budget. The finance committee reviewed and approved both proposals before being approved by the Senate.