Highlights: Council to address ice rink improvements, affordable housing

A+concerned+citizens+speak+to+the+Ames+City+Council+about+the+quality+of+the+Ames+Animal+Shelter+at+the+Ames+City+Council+meeting+on+Ja.+24.+
Jacob Rice
A concerned citizens speak to the Ames City Council about the quality of the Ames Animal Shelter at the Ames City Council meeting on Ja. 24.

The Ames City Council is set to address a contract totaling $84,065 between the city and an HVAC company to improve the Ames/ISU Ice Arena.

Parks and Recreation

According to the agenda, one of the arena’s two ice-making system compressors have been due for a top-end overhaul since June, but Johnson Controls (JC), the company which the agenda lists as the potential recipient of the contract, was unable to do so.

“The compressor manufacturer no longer makes the Ice Arena’s specific model or a comparable compressor,” the agenda stated. “The manufacturer offers a larger compressor, but would require a redesigned ice making system which at this time is infeasible.”

The city’s alternatives for the agenda item include:

1. Waiving the purchasing policies and procedures requirement for competitive bids and awarding a contract to JC to complete the overhaul in the amount of $84,065.
  2. Not waiving the policies and directing staff to solicit bids for the job.
  3. Referring back to staff for new alternatives.

The city manager’s recommended action supports the alternative, adding that “JC is the most capable contractor to complete the work as it has been maintaining the ice-making equipment since 2001.”

Baker Subdivision hearing

The agenda states that in 2015, the city acquired over 10 acres of land where the old Ames Middle School used to reside with the intention to develop a mixed-income development to support the affordable housing goals of the city.

The city was approached by Habitat for Humanity of Central Iowa, who intend to purchase a lot of land to develop homes for low-income community members. The proposition, according to the agenda, “will support the affordable housing goals of the city as a mixed-income development, with a minimum of 51% of the homes affordable to low and moderate income households.”

The alternatives for the hearing include:

1. Approving the sale to Habitat for Humanity.
  2. Approving the sale to Habitat for Humanity with additional terms and conditions or modifications.
  3. Directing city staff to seek another buyer for the lot.
  4. Declining to sell the lot at the time.

The city manager is in support of moving alternative 1.

Resident Police Report

The Ames Resident Police Advisory Committee (ARPAC) delivers reports to the council annually, and they are set to address the council with their report for the year Tuesday.

The report includes details regarding ARPAC’s public outreach and engagement, future plans for the committee and police complaints the group received. The report states there have been no complaints meeting the criteria for the committee’s review since July 2022.

The agenda in totality can be viewed on the city’s website.