Review: “Anyone But You” 2023’s romcom of the year: Five star or flop?

Courtesy of IMDb
“Anyone but You,” a romantic comedy starring Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell, was released on Dec. 22.

The new romcom “Anyone But You” starring Glen Powell and Sydney Sweeney hit the theatres Dec. 22. If all of the rave review videos about the movie on TikTok weren’t enough to get you to buy a ticket, then the palpable sexual tension between the two co-stars on and off the screen should be.

Not everyone was convinced that the chemistry between Powell and Sweeney was all just acting, so why not see for yourself? The movie runs for just under two hours and is packed with all kinds of romantic cliches and meet-cute moments. If you are a true romantic comedy movie junkie, you will likely enjoy “Anyone But You.” Along with the tension-filled moments that catch your attention, one cannot deny that Powell and Sweeney also do.

Though many of the opinions on the movie have been positive, there are a few things that viewers have not been impressed by. One of the biggest things was Sweeney’s outfits. Moviegoers felt that the wardrobe crew put Sweeney in too many revealing and impractical outfits; while everyone else in the movie was dressed in shorts and a T-shirt or tank top, Sweeney seemed to always appear in shorts and a small swim top or singlet, playing into her body rather than her character. Many found this to be over the top throughout the entire film. 

Social media comments also highlighted how people felt that the movie missed the mark in being standardized as the next big rom-com movie. Some enjoyed the movie and loved every relatable and romantic scene, while others found it somewhat unbearable and boring because of the plot and characters. 

“Anyone But You” was entertaining at best. It was enjoyable and funny but nowhere near the caliber of “How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days” or “Miss Congeniality,” which it was often compared to. I do recommend the movie to romantic comedy lovers because it was very cute, but for those who don’t particularly enjoy a cheesy love story, I would not recommend it at all.

Rating: 7/10